Starcraft Islander steering wheel

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice
I have a '87 Islander. What is the trick to removing the steering wheel? I removed the cap and the nut, but is doesnt want to budge. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything before I break something. Thanks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft Islander steering wheel

Well I don't know about your specific wheel....but for most wheels, what you do is loosen the nut.....don't remove it the whole way, and whack it with a hammer while you pull up on the wheel. Should free it right up. The reason you leave the nut on is to keep from boogering up the helm threads when you hammer it.

Huron Angler

Admiral

^^^ Yup, that's exactly what I had to do on my '79 SS, they really get stuck in there over time.

Leave the nut thread on about halfway, and pull out while you whack it with the hammer.

It may take a decent amount of force to dislodge it.

Once it is removed...make sure you don't lose the tiny key that might fall off the column.

Hope this helps:)

grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have my luck, whacking it will result in breaking something far more expensive and harder to replace than the wheel. Go down to Auto zone, Checker, O'Rileys etc and they will rent or loan you a wheel puller. W-D it will help too.

Grzzzz

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just went down and got a cheap 2 jaw gear puller and used that, wheel came right off the Apallo even though there was a pin holding it in. Found out about the pin after I removed the wheel, but after looking there was no way I could even access the pin in the first place. But then I did not really care as I tossed all the steering from that boat anyway. Good luck and welcome to the insanity.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with grzzzz in that I'd probably break mine too.

Hit it with WD-40 or PB Blaster and let it sit over night. Then wale away.

Casey G

Seaman Apprentice

see i knew you guys would have the answer!! Thanks I was almost pulling my dash and every thing I was pulling so hard. Thanks again!!

airshot

Rear Admiral

Yea they are on a tapered shaft, over time some corrosion takes place and they will not just pull off. All the hammer does is jar the shaft and wheel to loosen or break the taper loose. When replacing add a small amount of grease on the taper and it will come off with a less powerfull whack the next time.

Airshot