Lowrance Elite 5 or Humminbird 597ci HD

FreddyFisher

Cadet
I finally have it narrowed down to these two fishfinder/gps combos in the 500 dollar range, which is the top end of my budget (unless I want a third divorce. I kinda like her, so something in the 500 dollar range will have to do).

I fish the inshore harbors of Lake Michigan in Racine, Kenosha, and Milwaukee up to 100 fow, never venturing more than about 2 miles out in my 17 foot boat with 70 HP outboard.

I also fish inland lakes with a max fishing depth of 50 fow.

The Lowrance has a 16 channel gps vs the Humminbird with 50 channel. (??????) Other specs seem like they are head to head competitors...

Can anyone offer any insight between these two models, or if not, any opinion on the brands in general?

I am replacing an old, (circa 1990 eagle fish id model) basic fish finder, so I'm sure I won't go wrong with either of these!

Thanks everyone!

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Lowrance Elite 5 or Humminbird 597ci HD

I don't have any experience with the Lowrance, but can offer some insight on the gps as it relates to HB. I had 797 with 16 channel, and now have a 798 with internal 50 channel. Also have an external 50 channel, and the high accuracy 50 channel (not sold anymore). While it is very unlikely that you will be ever tracking more than 16 satalites, the performance of the 50 channel seems to be better. From power on to sat lock is much shorter, and the est pos error is lower.

I used my HB to plot some property. I used the external 50 channel on a rod for this. At most locations I got 3-4' estimated position errors. When I compared to landmarks on USGIS maps, I found the same or less error.

I would also spend some time comparing available maps between the two uits for the areas you fish. HB can use Navionics and Lakemaster. The HB included unimap is only an outline of the water body. The map chip will ba another $100+ or so, and will have to wait for your next $ allotment or divorce. ;)