Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
My boat has been tied to a dock in a lake for about 7 years, now that its on the trailer I would like to clean the slime off the hull. I have a small inexpensive pressure washer, but it won't cut through the gunk!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

Ayuh,... Start with a Big putty knife...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat tied to a freshwater dock for 7 years, how do I get the slime off the hull?

As Bond-o said, start with a putty knife. I recommend a plastic one, or plastic scraper, so you don't damage the gelcoat. The borrow or rent a better pressure washer (2500 psi or more) and attack the rest. Lastly, hit it with hull cleaner and a stiff bristle brush. Then wash with soap & water and wax if it's not coated with ablative paint.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Rent a bigger pressure washer and use a "Turbo" tip.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Green pads and LOT's of elbow grease with a good cleaning solution.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

None of the above. Try Mary Kate's or even cheaper, just plain old Toilet Bowl cleaner. It will work without the pressure washer or much elbow grease.

Summer Fun

Banned

My 4000psi pressure washer would make easy work of that. :)

This thing will cut your finger off. :eek:. It came with 5 different nozzle tips.

you could go to home depot and rent one. really cheap too i think it's like 30$ a day

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

muriatic acid and water mix, sponge it on, let it foam, power wash it off.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, 7 years? You're going to have a lot of blistering in your hull....be prepared to do a lot of repair work.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, 7 years? You're going to have a lot of blistering in your hull....be prepared to do a lot of repair work.

Yes, it is blistered!

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Oh boy, you have a lot of work cut out for ya.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

None of the above. Try Mary Kate's or even cheaper, just plain old Toilet Bowl cleaner. It will work without the pressure washer or much elbow grease.
It looks pretty bad!

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the useful ideas, I've got my hands full now!

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

My dad had an aluminum row boat he inherited when we were kids.
There was as much growth on it as what it weighed.
He was a farmer and the fields were quite sandy, no rocks.
So after spring plowing,discing, etc.
He hitched the boat to the tractor with a log chain.
Us kids piled into the row boat and away we went for a hayride without the hay nor wagon.
Dad would direct us to sit or lean this way and that as he pulled us back and forth accross the field.
About 20 miuntes of that and the boat bottom was shiney like a new penny.

Hatchman

Cadet

Us kids piled into the row boat and away we went for a hayride without the hay nor wagon.
Dad would direct us to sit or lean this way and that as he pulled us back and forth accross the field.

LOL! Sounds like something my Dad would do.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Hahaha, I love old school solutions for modern day problems........life seemed so easy back then.

Thanks for the laugh....awesome.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Try that today and when the passerby in a car sees it, you'll find yourself in front of a judge and a lifelong record of child endangerment.

What has happened to society???

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Try that today and when the passerby in a car sees it, you'll find yourself in front of a judge and a lifelong record of child endangerment.

What has happened to society???

Liberals......but Ill leave that for another discussion on another thread. ;)

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Do not let it dry out before trying to remove it. My expereince is that once it has dried it is really hard to get off (but I've never attacked anything over 1 season old). What lake in Georgia did it sit in, and what year is the boat? (Curious info for my "blister log", I've seen a couple of older model boats, Carver and Sea Ray, that were in the water for 10+ years without a single blister)