Mercury 500 questions

spamn

Seaman
I purchased a Merc 500 in unknown condition. I brought it home and took off the lower unit to find the impeller in decent shape but not perfect so I replaced it along with all the water pump gaskets. I then filled the lower with new gear lube.

Moving up to the powerhead, I noticed the starter solenoid had a busted bolt. I replaced the solenoid and threw in some new plugs and she fired right up. Compression was great in all four cylinders.

She takes a while to warm up and doesn't like to run off of choke. I then took the carbs apart and cleaned them completely as well as replaced all gaskets(including the built in fuel pump gaskets).

Same problem. Primer bulb stays hard but the engine will stall out most of the time that you take the choke off. Also, if you can get it to stay running, when you put it in gear there is little to no power. I'm assuming (mostly hoping) that I need to adjust the control cables, the carbs, and the timing. From what I understand that is called a link and sync. I have never worked with a timing light and the engine does not have a tach so I'm scared to tackle that task. Does this sound like a possible solution or what else do you suggest I check? I'm decent with a wrench but new to the marine side of it all.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sam

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury 500 questions

set adjustment on carb to 1 1/2 turns out from light seat and work from there. check wiring including but not limited to the coil and spark plug wires. check fuel filter and al lines check tank for crap. did you rebuild the main fuel pump? or just a carb thing?