Blown motor sucked sand and mud "insurance or not"

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got stuck on a sand bar that filled in a spot on the river in a channel going into a bar/grill. When i came off plane the boat stopped stuck good, of course i tried to motor out and sucked up stuff "sand mud" then got towed out by the coast guard and they too got stuck and over heated a honda out board. BTW mine is a 1999 merc 350efi bravo 3. You think insurance will cover this. Also what would be a good motor to upgrade if i pay some out of pocket on top of insurance. Its a 1999 monterey 262 cruiser 7500lbs

PS Id like to get more than 41mph top speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Blown motor sucked sand and mud "insurance or not"

Why did my thread get moved?

Bondo

Staff member

Why did my thread get moved?

Ayuh,.. It ain't really a Tech Mercruiser question I guess....

Whether it's Covered, is between you, 'n the insurance co...

About the only step Up, is to an injected Big Block....

TilliamWe

Banned

Acuraguy, read your policy.
That said, what exactly is your damage? If you just have sand plugging your impeller pump and hoses, then yes, it's an insurance claim. Not worth filing as it's "easy" to get sand out of hoses and a Bravo pump. If you OVERHEATED the motor and broke it somehow, since you didn't watch the temperature gauge, then you have "failed to mitigate your damages" and any engine damage will not be covered. What I am saying is the action of the hitting the needn't have caused ANY damage. If YOU caused damaged by "intentionally" doing something to injest sand, then you are not covered.

Read you policy.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, did you actually have any damage other than sucking in sandy/muddy water? Can't you just hook up the muffs and flush her out? Maybe change impeller, and move on?

A Procharger would do that sbc some good :) Or the big block is always a good idea too.

Last edited:

TilliamWe

Banned

Did you actually have any damage other than sucking in sandy/muddy water? Can't you just hook up the muffs and flush her out?

Great minds think alike stingray! You were typing it short and sweet, while I was expounding! ;)

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

uhhh read the title its blown up!!!!!!!!!!! she was smoking real bad still smells my fire system even went off. I has water every where in the engine area and the intake manifold has water on top of it it. Im guessing when I came off plane onto the sandy mud bar it sucked up the stuff and glogged every thing then not giving me an accurate reading "140deg" cause there was no water and only air for the sending unit and of course i kept driving till i could smell it at the helm and also feel it and hear it. We though we were on Fire threw the kids onto another boat. So there ya go I know a blown motor ive blown my share of them.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alrighty then... run it by your insurance guy. I bet it will be covered.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool im guessing so the shop thinks so too. They are pulling the motor tomorrow and gonna figure out the damage.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

BTW mine is a 1999 merc 350efi bravo 3. You think insurance will cover this. Also what would be a good motor to upgrade if i pay some out of pocket on top of insurance. Its a 1999 monterey 262 cruiser 7500lbs

PS Id like to get more than 41mph top speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Man! That's a BIG boat for an SBC! It'll take a LOT more engine to get it to go!!

I agree with putting a 454/496/502 in it!

('ell, I want a 502 in my boat!!)

Regards,

Rick

TilliamWe

Banned

You insurance company may cover it. Although you should have known better. You drove it until is blew up, so it's your fault. Mechanical damage is not covered under MOST insurance policies. But if you tell your sob story, with less attitude and don't mention that you've destroyed other motors before, you might get a sympathetic claims person to buy that it was all "sudden and accidental". Of course, I know the truth.

Bondo

Staff member

You insurance company may cover it. Although you should have known better. You drove it until is blew up, so it's your fault. Mechanical damage is not covered under MOST insurance policies. But if you tell your sob story, with less attitude and don't mention that you've destroyed other motors before, you might get a sympathetic claims person to buy that it was all "sudden and accidental". Of course, I know the truth.

Ayuh,.... No wonder nobody can afford insurance,....

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

you guys are kinda tough i must say. I have blow many car motors we race stock cars and I have built many street cars too. So back to boat motors the temp gauge was reading a good temp cause none of the hot water was getting to the sending unit, I wish you all would read the whole thing before responding. So that being said yes i do know better if a gauge is reading hot or climbing, but if i have 140deg on my gauge im good ehhhh. BTW for the record I put a 4.3 in my girlfriends boat last year out of pocket and it too blew up only because the sending unit for the temp gauge on it was not working right and would not read above 200deg so no i dont just claim all things to insurance for those of you who think im trying to scam the insurance. Thanks for the bashing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

The shop owner has a 502mpi ready to drop in im thinking about adding some cash to the insurance deal and having that dropped in.. You think my bravo3 will handle it and also what about the gear ratio?

TilliamWe

Banned

Ayuh,.... No wonder nobody can afford insurance,....

Exactly Bond-o, and that's what I said to Acura guy in the private message he sent to tell me how rude I was.
That I may be, but I don't try to get something for nothing.

Good luck on the 502mpi.

acuraguy81

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is insurance for? and second all i did is ask a question. You all have come up with these amazing accusations that im a fraud kinda guy im sure that insurance through the years has collected from me dearly. BTW my house insurance has doubled in 2 years WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.