Evinrude 1966 9.5 Questions

pappajohn7

Recruit
1. Just getting back into boats and have Evinrude 9.5 and was shocked that no intake air filter is used. Is this right or is mine missing.

2. The killswitch is disconnected. I have refurbished the switch and have reconnected it to the wires coming from under the flywhell and it doesnot kill. Does anyone have the wireing diagram. It couldn't be too complicated but i need to know foresure how its wired. Thanks in invance for your help.

3. My prop is three blade alum. and is beat up badly. Ive looked at the props IBoat has to offer around $70. (About three or four pitches) Would anyone hazared a guess as to which i should gamble on with a 75lb Kaboat (about 4.5X16ft flatbottom with 300 to 600 lbs load. any one with experence and an opinion chip in on thise one thanks.

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 1966 9.5 Questions

no air filter, not needed on the water :) so no worries.
kill switch generally goes to the coil(coils) and simply grounds out the power into them as a kill..... I think the black wire (others like BK can give you a better answer here as this engine is a bit different from mine. In a pinch should be able to choke to kill.
I would hazard a 9 pitch would be about right...maybe a 10pitch prop.

oh and welcome to iboats forums.

Sean

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post your prop question in the Props Forum, Papa.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In a pinch should be able to choke to kill.

On my 65 model you don't even need the choke...just turn the throttle all the way down before you take it out of gear. The prop load will kill it every time.

On my motor there are only two wires IIRC, both black. Maybe they are disconnected under the flywheel. If you're sure the switch is functional then the next thing to suspect is a break in a wire or a disconnect.

If the switch tests good you might be able to wire from the plugs. We used to kill our B&S mowers by grounding the plug to the frame with a wood handled shovel.

pappajohn7

Recruit

no air filter, not needed on the water :) so no worries.
kill switch generally goes to the coil(coils) and simply grounds out the power into them as a kill..... I think the black wire (others like BK can give you a better answer here as this engine is a bit different from mine. In a pinch should be able to choke to kill.
I would hazard a 9 pitch would be about right...maybe a 10pitch prop.

oh and welcome to iboats forums.

Sean
Thanks the thinking may be that there is not much dust on a lake. I will reduce slow idle jet, turn tiller all the way ccw and depend on the load to kill engine.