1964 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrieser

Recruit
I just purchased this motor and was able to start it relatively quickly but there was no water coming out of the "**** hole". I've read a few other posts that stated the most likely fix is an impeller. I don't know a whole lot about motors and have no idea where this would be located! The model number is 18402 any help is greatly appreciated!!

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1964 Evinrude Fastwin 18 hp

there is no **** hole on that model,if water pump is working you should be getting a spray of water from a rectangle hole half way down the leg

sgrieser

Recruit

sorry that is what I meant! Again I know very little about this.

sgrieser

Recruit

I found the impeller but it doesn't seem bad. Any other ideas? Is there a water pump? If so where would it be?

AlTn

Commander

go to marineengine.com.....boats.net...or shop.evinrude.com...they'll have diagrams of your motor on easily navigated pages..the impeller is inside the water pump housing

kfa4303

Banned

hi sgrieser. the impeller is the waterpump. They're just interchangable terms. Here's a few things to check: for starters, make sure you only run this motor in a test tank with water filled to about and inch or two below the exhaust port. These older motors don't run on muffs like many newer motor. A big garbage can works great. Because you already have the lower unit off and have taken a look at the impeller you may as well replace it, just to be safe. I would recommened you get a new waterpump gasket kit while you're at it too. They're easy to install and you can get both the impeller and the waterpump gasket kit right here at iboats for about $35-45, or so. While installing your new impeller, you only ever turn the drive shaft and/or flywhell CLOCKWISE. If you rotate the drive shaft/flywheel counter clockwise you may damage the engine and/or reverse the direction of some or all of the fins on the impeller rendering much less effective and therefore unable to properly cool the engine. There are lots of posts here and on youtube that can show/explain how to reinstall the impeller. While the lower unit is off, chek the copper water pipe house in the exhaust leg to be sure that there is no debris causing a blockage. You can check by holding a garden house up to the pipe and running water through it. you should see water come out of the exhaust port on the leg. Assuming the pipe is clear, then you can put it all back together again and test her out. That's really all there is too the cooling system on these old outboards. Make sure you have a tank with plenty of water, a good impeller and a clean pipe and you're all set. Also be sure run a 24:1 fuel/oil mix too. Don;t worry if it smokes and/or leaves oil in the test tank that's toatlly normal. Keep us posted. Lots of folks here that can help.

wildartstech

Cadet

Also be sure run a 24:1 fuel/oil mix too. Don;t worry if it smokes and/or leaves oil in the test tank that's toatlly normal. Keep us posted. Lots of folks here that can help.

Sorry not to be a know it all cause I certainly am not but... I read on the evinrude website that 1964 models and older are a 50:1 mix, Not 24:1... I mean I could be wrong and there could be exceptions. Only reason I mention is that I have a 1964 18hp fastwin.

wildartstech

Cadet

Also be sure run a 24:1 fuel/oil mix too. Don;t worry if it smokes and/or leaves oil in the test tank that's totally normal. Keep us posted. Lots of folks here that can help.

Sorry not to be a know it all cause I certainly am not but... I read on the evinrude website that 1964 models and older are a 50:1 mix, Not 24:1... I mean I could be wrong and there could be exceptions as insinuated. Only reason I mention is that I have a 1964 18hp fastwin. Would like to know what the proper mix is myself. I suppose if I could find a operating manual online that would help. However, I was not alive in 1964 nor for another 20 years to purchase one and buying one online for $30 feels like a rip off.

Below is the quote straight from the evinrude website

"2 - What is the fuel/oil mix for my motor?
The following is generally true: 1958 and prior used 20:1, 1959 thru 1963 used 24:1, 1964 and newer use 50:1. High performance usage (racing) requires a ratio of 25:1. New engine break-in (not DI) requires 25:1." - evinrude.com

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd use 50:1. and I have the parts manual for that engine if you want it. If yes, PM me your email address and model #.

kfa4303

Banned

Well it's really a matter of the internal components of the engine, not so much what the factory said. The factory is/was/can be wrong at times. If the motor uses needle bearings, then a leaner mix can be run (i.e. 50:1 vs. 24:1). However, I always err on the side of caution with these old motors and use extra oil (too many stories of great old motors overheating and seizing up because "the previous owner said I could run *insert improper fuel oil mix here*.") A fellow member in the forums made a great analogy that oil is to these old motors as water is to an athlete. While you can certainly have too much, generally speaking, they both like to be well lubed. I run 24:1 in my '66 20 hp without issue and virtually no smoke while out on the water. To me it's cheap insurance, even if it isn't entirely necessary. My motor my die, but it won't be for lack of lubrication. Plus, I can always cut the fuel I run with straight gas in a pinch and still have plenty of oil in the mix. Kind of nice when you run out of oil, or you're at a gas station that doesn't sell any and you don't have to time to track some down.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
PLEASE DO NOT re-open threads that are over 90 days old and this thread is from April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.