Problem with Acceleration

harrydnyc

Cadet
PLEASE HELP. I just bought a 1986 Weekender 230. Had a tune up done, outdrive serviced, new batteries, etc. Everything seemed fine, but now there seems to be a problem when I pick up speed. Whenever I start to accelerate, the engine seems to lose power. The RPM's start to drop, and I also noticed that the oil pressure seems rather low (20 - 30 kpsi). The oil pressure does not seem to increase when I move forward on the throttle. After a while, the engine will just shut off if I try to get anywhere near 3000 RPM's. Someone told me that maybe there is a problem with the Carb. Please, any advise would be greatly appreciated... Also, the problem seems to happen after the boat is driven for a while.. When I first take it out, everything works fine..

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Problem with Acceleration

Check your battery cable terminals for looseness.

Bondo

Staff member

quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Someone told me that maybe there is a problem with the Carb. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />Definitely Sounds like a Fuel Issue...........<br />I'd start with the Fuel Filter,+ go from there........<br />It Could be Anything from the Tank, to the Carb............<br /><br />BTW, You Don't need to post the Same Question more than Once........

harrydnyc

Cadet

I put a new fuel filter in. I bought some carb cleaner (both the one you put in the tank, and the one you clean from the outside of the carb) Still same result. Would I need to run the boat for a while to see if the carb cleaner is working? I still notice oil pressure seems rather low.. Any clue?

harrydnyc

Cadet

I put a new fuel filter in. I bought some carb cleaner (both the one you put in the tank, and the one you clean from the outside of the carb) Still same result. Would I need to run the boat for a while to see if the carb cleaner is working? I still notice oil pressure seems rather low.. Any clue?

wally jr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

chk your timing...you might have to advance it. there are other posts w/ the same issue..it will probably help...

Skipster1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a long shot but it might be worth looking into.<br />I had this problem and it turned out there was a small gas filter where the fuel tank hose connected to the fuel pump. I took that hose off and found a tiny micro-filter there.... and it was clogged with junk.<br />The junk would pile up and shut off gas flow to the engine but, when I turned it off the back pressure in the fuel lines would force the junk back into the tank.<br />So, when the engine bogged down I would pull that little filter out and clean it and re-install it. After a couple of those incidences I had all the gunk out of the tank and she ran like the devil for years.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ditto on the fuel issue. Check the anti-syphon valve in your tank pickup. They are prone to packing up and restricting fuel to the pump. Also, if you have the original fuel pump, I would highly suspect it. Just went thru this with my boat and a neighbor's boat. Fuel pumps can die an erradic death. They usually start malfunctioning at higher rpm. They can become intermittant and erradic, both high and low rpm and on acceleration or cruise, before it dies and leaves you stranded.

harrydnyc

Cadet

Quick follow up:<br /><br />What should the oil pressure be normally? I keep getting between 20 - 30 KPSI. Shouldnt that go up when I am increasing speed? I read a post somewhere that a guy had a similiar problem and it turned out to be something related to the oil...

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer

Harry, Don't forget the fuel filter in the carb where the fuel line attaches.

harrydnyc

Cadet

When taking out the filter in the carb, I broke the fuel line that goes into the carb. Can I replace the area thats broken with a rubber hose, or do I have to replace that whole line with a new steel one?

harrydnyc

Cadet

OK.. So here we are a year later and I am still having the same issue. My mechanic without looking at it, is assuming it's my Carb, and that it needs to be rebuilt. If that's the case, I would gladly pay to get it done. However, my concern is that whenever I change the filter, I get a good few hours with the boat running perfectly. Then I start to lose RPM's and I need to change the filter again. If it was the carb, then why would changing the fuel filter fix it?

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think your right, it it was the carb, it would always run the same, new filter or not. If you read one of the earlier posts you'll see that Skiph had to keep changing the filter until the tank was clean. So will you or else clean out the tank!! Seems like if you found changing the filter cures the issue for hours that you have found you're problem already!!

harrydnyc

Cadet

I am also wondering about the anti-syphon valve that one of the earlier posts on this topic mentioned. Can anyone let me know how I can check this, and where it is located. I figure it's on the tank, but is it the 90 degree connection or the other one? What am I looking for to see if it is bad? If it needs to be replaced, can I change just that part? Sorry for all the questions, I am just going nuts with this. Thanks for all your help guys.

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it is the 90 degree fitting at the exit of the tank. Usually there is a rubber hose going to the sererator from there. Just uscrew the fitting and look in the ends. Also, sometimes shaking it you can feel the check ball move. I just replaced mine once I had it out. Its like a $5 item and pretty easy to find. When you get it out check the pick up tube as well. It is the tube extending down from the antisiphon to the bottom of the tank to allow fuel to be sucked up. Sometimes there is a screen on the end which gets clogged with gunk too. It is amazing to me how much crud can get in the tank when it seems that all you do is put in good clean fuel from the pump. They supposedly filter it as it is pumped as well. Go figure!!

harrydnyc

Cadet

OK. Will check the valve tonight, thanks. Will also attempt to clean out the pick up tube. Will post results tommorrow... Thanks again..

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do not have a water separating filter, you should look at adding one, it is much bigger and can hold more crud. plus it is screws off like your oil filter.

Bondo

Staff member

While you're already there,.. Checking the Check-Valve,......<br />Unscrew the rest of the Fitting Out of the Tank,.......<br />There's Probably a little Screen on the bottom end of the pick-up tube..........<br /><br />It's on the Other side of the Same 90* elbow the Check-Valve is screwed into.........<br /><br />BTW,......... Oil Pressure of 10lbs per 1000rpms is Fine.........

harrydnyc

Cadet

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST. I went to replace the Check-Valve, and I found the screen you guys were talking about. It was completely clogged. I dont know how half the stuff that got in there managed even get in the first place. I found leaves, a bug, and crud. I cleaned it out, and replaced the valve (dont even think there as a problem with it, but figured, "while I have it out, might as well") BTW, I do have a spin-on Water Seperator (confused at how crud could get in it since there is a screen in the fuel line.) Put everything back, and took the boat out for a spin. I have never felt the boat move like that. I must have been running really lean. Funny thing is the "mechanic" told me I needed to have my carb rebuilt without even checking anything else. Would have cost me over 300 and would not have changed a thing. Ended up burning prob a $100 in gas last night flying under the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges over to Laguardia Airport (a real cool place to watch the planes land at night, since they are almost right on top of you) I can not thank you guys enough. This problem has been killing me for over a year. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!