Free boat?

Sgrayscoop

Cadet
I have a chance to get a new project boat.all I have seen of it is this picture. He told me it was a glastron.inboard. Can anyone tell me some more details on maybe what this might be (year,specs, possible motors that could be in it) he says its rough but yea never know. Hope I'm not getting into trouble. It is free though...100MEDIA_IMAG0078.jpg

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Free boat?

It may be free, but consider what it will cost to get rid of if it is not repairable. Looks pretty rough. If the motor is bad, It will cost you more than it is worth to get it running. It may cost more than it is worth even with a good motor. Looks like it has been sitting outside for a long time, and probably pretty rotten.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all WELCOME to iboats. Second, no boasts are free... The less they cost to "buy" the more expensive they are to get running.. I would check it out pretty careful before I take it. I agree there are some people that just get tired of boating, But most get rid of the boat for a reason...

Sgrayscoop

Cadet

First of all WELCOME to iboats. Second, no boasts are free... The less they cost to "buy" the more expensive they are to get running.. I would check it out pretty careful before I take it. I agree there are some people that just get tired of boating, But most get rid of the boat for a reason...
thank you!, but lets just say its salvagable, what power plant did these come with? I'm thinking this boat is from the 60's

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like a large planter box for someone's front yard. Or you could save it for the annual Xmas decorations with Santa skiing behind it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if the boat is that old, you have no way of knowing if the power plant (or any other parts) are original. To decide whether to take it, you have to price out replacing everything (stern drive, engine, wiring; interior; transom; stringers, foam and all else between deck and hull) and decide if you would buy that boat for that much. And then there's the trailer...
So I wouldn't even worry about what it came with; worry about what you are going to put in it.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do boat owners decide to store their boats under trees without out a tarp? I see it over and over again, just covering the boat would prevent so much damage. If you get that boat back into shape, keep it covered! By the way, there is no such thing as a free boat.

Sgrayscoop

Cadet

I know everyone is right haha, but still intrigued. I will post pictures of really how bad it is when I look at it today. Oh and I will make sure to drive my little car so I won't get too stubborn lol

shrew

Lieutenant

I have a chance to get a new project boat.View attachment 90189

It is a very, very, very fine line between:

"I'd like to give you this boat for free." and "Would you mind removing and disposing of this old boat for me for free?" Just because he's making it sound like he's doing You a favor, doesn't mean that is actually the case.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for some numbers.... you might be in a situation where you could buy a pretty decent boat for $4000 and save $2000 over getting this free one in the water.

99% this free boat is only worth whatever the parts you could sell are worth minus the work and cost of removing them and disposing of the rest

Sgrayscoop

Cadet

Well the thing is, this guys dad died this year and it was his. This guy knows nothing bout boats and is trying to see it go to a good home cause he don't like boats, so being a family friend,i will entertain the offer. They kept it in dock garage until a year ago

ziggy

Admiral

this guys dad died this year and it was his
was he the title holder... consider the title and how easy or hard it will be to title it in your name. some places can cause a lot of grief for getting the title. just food for further thought.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Free boats are like free pets. They always wind up costing you something.

Check the floors for soft spots, take a rubber mallet to check the transom(a change in tone when tapping the transom could indicate that the transom is bad and could need a major repair), before you tow it away if you decide to take it you might want to check the hubs and make sure they are good to go being it has sat and you don't know when the last time the bearings have had maintenance done to them

We don't know where you are at so we don't know of other things to tell you to look for like if it has been winterized etc.

I would take along a battery or jumper cables to see if it even turned over. And if you take it make sure there isn't going to be a problem with the title worksometime it requires more than just a bill of sales. just start searching the forums here and you'll see what I mean.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat is free as it is. You will need to repower and new outdrive if inboard. No doubt about it. You will need to rip up the floor replace transom and stringers, rebuild a floor, replace broken windshield, new helm controls, etc... This is all taking into the consideration that the hull is good.

Let me put it to you in fair terms. If I asked you to come take my garbage bags away from me and put them in your lawn would you do so? That's what you're doing here.

hostage

Lieutenant

It could be a diamond in the rough. Doesn't cost anything to take a look, if floor, and transom is solid and the engine works, might be worth it. Though from the picture I don't feel to hopeful.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Don't take us the wrong way.... we are ALL hopeful that you'll get the deal of the century but it's just that your chances are better with a lottery ticket.... It doesn't hurt you to look but the problem is that USUALLY folks that could determine what condition it's in would not be asking us how much it was worth..... they would either walk/run away or do a writeup here after they brought it home to rub it in our faces.... You should consider posting your location on the off chance that someone here might be in your area and be able to look at it with you

Either way good luck

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Why do boat owners decide to store their boats under trees without out a tarp? I see it over and over again, just covering the boat would prevent so much damage. If you get that boat back into shape, keep it covered! By the way, there is no such thing as a free boat.

Maybe the tree grew after the boat was parked there ?
I'm just saying...

Kamdyn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats not a bad looking boat, obviously it looks its age. And you cant beat free, I had a Glastron given to me last year and it was a 89" the interior was new and the exterior looks its age with a little TLC she will look mint. If I were you I would take it and see what you can do with it, It might be in running condition.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Figure on $700.00-$1,000.00 to replace stringers, deck & transom with fiberglass covered plywood if you do the work yourself. That does not include painting or gelcoating the outside of the hull. Add in motor/outdrive, trailer repairs & rigging* costs & decide if you want to spend that much. Done correctly (with advise from this site) & you'll have a boat that's better than the factory made it with a 25-35 year lifespan. I love my 36 year old about to be rebuilt fiberglass boat!

*wiring, windshield, seats, cleats, anchor, rod holders, livewell, gas tank cleaning &/or repairs/replacement, bilge pump, safety gear, lots of misc. + all the fun stuff to personalize it to your wants.

Check the Restoration forum for details.