How to remove powder coating.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class
My wakeboard tower is powder coated, but we really like the look of the polished aluminum, and thought we might try it if we find a way to do it.
Anyone know of an easy way to remove the powder coating?
I have access to a sandblaster, but I've also read that it can hurt the aluminum. Also read that some types of strippers like aircraft remover or oven cleaner can do the job.
Anyone had success?

jamiemac74

Seaman
Re: How to remove powder coating.

My wakeboard tower is powder coated, but we really like the look of the polished aluminum, and thought we might try it if we find a way to do it.
Anyone know of an easy way to remove the powder coating?
I have access to a sandblaster, but I've also read that it can hurt the aluminum. Also read that some types of strippers like aircraft remover or oven cleaner can do the job.
Anyone had success?

I would think the only way to remove powder coating is to sandblast. Especially if it was powder coated properly. I don't see any chemicals cutting it. So IMO sandblasting is the way to go then you would have to come back and resurface the aluminum to a polished state.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

powder coat is almost like ceramic so I don't think chemicals will strip it and as you said sand blasting will really tear it up, eihter way I don't think you are going to get it to polish without a monumental amount of work.

you would almost have to wet sand it with 1000-1500 to get the pits out then go to 2000 and then buff and I am not sure if even that would get it.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

If you remove it.....it may corrode pretty fast :(

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Call a powdercoating company near you and ask them. They will have the correct answers you're looking for.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

The easiest way would be to sand it with a da.

Use 80 grit then go lighter.

Your gonna have to seal the aluminum afterwards.

What's that stuff Shark hide? That seals aluminum.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sand blasting isn't going to be good. Powdercoat more or less melts off when you blast it. It doesn't flake off like paint. Additionally, sand blasting will eat up the aluminum in a hurry. You could try soda blasting (it won't hurt the aluminum), but I think it will take forever to do the frame. How about painting it with an aluminum color paint. Done right, I bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from a distance. Good luck with it and post pictures with what you come up with.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

From someone in the powder coat industry (developer not coater), just google powder coating or powder coating repair. Rework of aluminum furniture is becoming a big business and of course you have to remove and prep what's already on the furniture to do this. As was pointed out in previous posts, it won't be easy and you'll have to add something (like a powder coating :) ) to protect the aluminum. Clear coat powdered acrylics (like those now used on auto wheels) would give the polished look you seek.

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figured it would be a major process.
I'll see if I can call a powder coating company near by and see what they say.
Sounds like it's going to stay just the way it is.

Hank496

Seaman

Currently removing powder coat from aluminum cockpit cupboard door frames. Powder coat is basically paint that has been dried, ground into dust and then applied to the piece. The piece is then heated and the coating melts. I'm having great success with paint stripper that I bought from HD. Paint it on, let it sit for 15 minutes and the stuff bubbles and peels right off. You still have to sand the oxidized areas and may have to use a thin coat of body filler if they are very pitted.

It is not Stripeze, but some other brand. It is for removing paint as well as polyurethane and epoxy. The stuff is down the boatyard, I'll stop off tomorrow on my way home from work and get the info.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That stuff called aircraft stripper will take it off, too.