73model 85hp merc runs only when starter is running

justrandy1969

Recruit
I am new to the forum. i have a 75 model merc 85 ( 850 ) outboard that only runs
while the starter is engaged . of course , when it starts , the flywheel kicks the starter gear down , but you have to keep the key in the start position and it runs. no spark
when you let the key go back to "run" position. has a new ignition switch and new killswitch . im lost. someone said it was the "trigger"? but why would it run while the starter is going if the trigger was bad? cant afford a 300.oo part to throw at it.

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 73model 85hp merc runs only when starter is running

Check to see if you have 12 volt when the key is in the run postion on the red and white post conections on the switchbox.If you can get her to run/fire when the starter is cranking the engine then the trigger is not the problem.Make sure all the wires on your internal harness are in good shape.

M

Maxz695

Check all wiring for corrosion.esspecialy the swichbox and stator.sounds like maybe starter soleniod may be bad. or bad merc switch but then i don,t think it would fire at all, Bad gas if 2 stroke too much oil mixrue. also flooding issue could do this rev up the engine in neutral choke it and try to get it to clear out.. if they messed up the carb rebuild and gas shoots out the top of the carb your float pin isn,t sealing off. just some suggestions hope they help

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Check to see if you have 12 volt when the key is in the run postion on the red and white post conections on the switchbox..

If this is a distributor AND the ignition switch IS good, then order the trigger.

Tests are clearly spelled out in the CDIElectronics free Ignition Troubleshooting Guide, available thru links at their site.