repair bullet hole in jon boat

2001FZ1

Cadet
I recently acquired a jon boat that has a bullet hole in the bottom. drunks and rifles don't mix well I guess. :facepalm: The previous owner used JB weld to fix the hole but its not stopping 100% of the water.

What would be the best way to get this repaired? Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: repair bullet hole in jon boat

Welcome to iBoats!
Check out a product called GLUVIT!!! It will do the job!!!

2001FZ1

Cadet

GLUVIT will work on a hole the size of a finger?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

How do you know it was a rifle and not a handgun?

I've had a few drinks, but I have no rifles or handguns on me.

2001FZ1

Cadet

How do you know it was a rifle and not a handgun?

I've had a few drinks, but I have no rifles or handguns on me.

I guess I will never know what type of weapon made the hole, just need to make it stop leaking.

I had the idea of putting an exterior patch over the hole and riveting it on with Boatlife calk sandwiched in the middle. Just not sure about drilling more holes in the boat though. :confused:
http://www.iboats.com/Black-2-8-Fl-...30916483--**********.518580385--view_id.68669
This stuff worked great for around the hole on the live well intake on the other boat.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I guess I will never know what type of weapon made the hole, just need to make it stop leaking.

I had the idea of putting an exterior patch over the hole and riveting it on with Boatlife calk sandwiched in the middle. Just not sure about drilling more holes in the boat though. :confused:
http://www.iboats.com/Black-2-8-Fl-...30916483--**********.518580385--view_id.68669
This stuff worked great for around the hole on the live well intake on the other boat.

I would probably scuff it up and use 5200 with a sandwhich of aluminum just to be sure.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

No, I meant Use some JB Aqua Weld to fill and fair the hole, then coat both the outside and the inside with gluvit. IT WILL NOT LEAK! Sand it, Clean with Acetone then apply everything. Couple hours you'll be good to go

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well hell........ SHOOT THAT SNAKE!!!!

Yup, a small aluminum patch and some 3m5200 or gluvit will fix it ........ so will a person who can weld aluminum. Welding is cheaper in the long run and you can probably get it done for under $25

2001FZ1

Cadet

No, I meant Use some JB Aqua Weld to fill and fair the hole, then coat both the outside and the inside with gluvit. IT WILL NOT LEAK! Sand it, Clean with Acetone then apply everything. Couple hours you'll be good to go

Thanks!

Well hell........ SHOOT THAT SNAKE!!!!

Yup, a small aluminum patch and some 3m5200 or gluvit will fix it ........ so will a person who can weld aluminum. Welding is cheaper in the long run and you can probably get it done for under $25

I'm going to make some calls about finding a person to weld on a patch. If I can't find someone local, I'll probably use the JB waterweld.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You should still at least rivet or screw the patch on with aluminum rivets or stainless steel screws

redfury

Commander

for the 5200 adhesive sealant patch with aluminum, just the adhesive sealant alone shouldn't be trusted to hold the patch in place forever. I'd opt for welding over a patch unless the boat means nothing to you. Don't regret NOT having it welded.