2002 optimax 200 question

ryan67

Recruit
hey guys,
im potentially thinking about trading a relatively brand new harley for a 1985 25' grady white with twin 2002 mercury optimax 200's. the guy said he overheated one of the motors last year and has a rebuilt powerhead it just needs to be installed. first off im looking for any bitches/praises of the 2002 optimax 200, secondly how bad is a powerhead change out. im dying for a boat but i tend to jump at stupid decisions. honest advice would be excellent :confused:

M

Maxz695

Re: 2002 optimax 200 question

first off I,d keep the Harely secondly BOAT Stands for Bring on another thousand! It may be a good deal for you but your already starting first of all with a broken boat. With that in mind is he giving you all you need not just the powerhead to get this thing runnig.when was the last time this thing was serviced waterpumps, fuel pumps oil in the out drive bilge pumps etc? It,s really great to own a bad *** boat but it really sucks to own a gorgeous land shark

ryan67

Recruit

your absolutley right. i have to get more info from the guy i just cant seem to find any solid critiques on the motors.

M

Maxz695

wow that didn,t take much so I guess I was RIGHT

That year Optimax fell into "Optipop" catagory. A little birdie told me that the reason for this was because the compressor was more prone to producing water into the air rail but I am not one to speculate. Was it a Mercury or equivalent reman? The reason I ask is if it is under warranty it can be covered by the manufacturer if it was built by a shop they are the only ones that will cover it and then maybe.

Jack Hart

Cadet

Unless you're a good mechanic, own all the latest computerized diagnostic tools, like to work on outboards, have lots of spare time and five or ten thousand extra dollars to spend, I'd steer clear of just about any used engines of that vintage. Just the cost of a few little parts can kill any good deal. Example: With two engines, you've got a total of 12 fuel and 12 air injectors. Each pair will run you about $600. That's $7200 for injectors alone. As pointed out the air compressors crap out regularly. Figure about $800 a pop just for the compressor. Hell, even replacing all the spark plugs can run you into big bucks. One thing you can be sure of. With two older engines, sooner or later something is going to fail, and fixing an Optimax is never cheap.