Alpha one shift problem

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice
Took the boat to the lake today for the first time, started up, backed it off the trailer, when I went to put it in forward and pushed the throttle it went faster in reverse. Any help would be great. # on the drive is OC640125.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha one shift problem

what service work was performed before you went to the lake?

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Problem got worse, looking at the lower unit where the cable comes out through the rubber boot, the boot has a 1 inch tear in it, that would explain the bilge running right??

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Get your tool box out. Good time to replace your lower shift cable,and that little bellows, And your u joint bellows if its more then 5 yrs old. Upgrade your shift shaft bushings. Check u joints and gimble bearing. Water supply hose $200- $300 in parts and you should be race ready ! Just did all that on my 86 Alpha 1. Shifts nice and smooth now. It is a bit involved but do able for a lot of D I Y ers with the e net and this forum as your guide. yep tears in any bellows [exhaust excluded ] will put water in the bilge .

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the help guys. Cant decide to do it myself or take it in. Or the 3rd option, trade it for a canoe.

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

I have thru hull exhaust, does anyone make a block off plate to replace the exhaust bellows??

Bondo

Staff member

I have thru hull exhaust, does anyone make a block off plate to replace the exhaust bellows??

Ayuh,... I made my own outa a little piece of 1/4" aluminum...

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

How did you mount the plate, any pics of it would help, I've seen on this site, people using fernco plugs, have you used this method, or any experience with them?

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Bond-o, I havent got it tore down yet, I,m kinda getting some parts for it now, as long as its off I planned on, new lower cable kit, u-joint bellows for sure, but still unsure of exhaust bellows. I am a tig welder, and the machinest at work owes me one, If you could let me know whats involved in doing the aluminum plate, and if I need to block the transom hole, and the one in the lower unit, I would really appreciate it, also any thought on the fernco rubber pipe cap??? I found them at the hardware store, they feel sturdy. Oh by the way, were going to get 6in of snow tonight, god I love spring. Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"I have thru hull exhaust, does anyone make a block off plate to replace the exhaust bellows?? "

If you have thru hull ,you dont have thru prop exaust?? nothing to block off.

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

I know I dont need to block it off, I just thought blocking it off would eliminate another possible bellows leak, like the one in my shift cable bellows. If I dont need it, it might as well be gone.

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o, I havent got it tore down yet, I,m kinda getting some parts for it now, as long as its off I planned on, new lower cable kit, u-joint bellows for sure, but still unsure of exhaust bellows. I am a tig welder, and the machinest at work owes me one, If you could let me know whats involved in doing the aluminum plate, and if I need to block the transom hole, and the one in the lower unit, I would really appreciate it, also any thought on the fernco rubber pipe cap??? I found them at the hardware store, they feel sturdy. Oh by the way, were going to get 6in of snow tonight, god I love spring. Thanks

Ayuh,.. The 1 I built is just a flat plate, with 4 holes drilled in it...
It bolts to the transom assembley where the Y-pipe bolts on...
After the y-pipe is Removed...

The fernco caps clamp onto the top of the y-pipe...
If the y-pipe is left installed...

There's Nothing to be used Outside the transom assembley...

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone, after turkey hunting me and a buddy are tearing into it. He wants to learn on mine, he has an old larson tri hull I/O he got for free, and wants to rebuild it. Probably alot more questions comming on that one.

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Well I got into it today, the lower unit came off easy, the shift cable came out easy, even the cable bellows,(cut it out). I saw on a link, you need to but a special 9/16 long thin wall socket to get the cable off the bellhousing. I'm in the middle of this fun part right now, had to stop, ran out of beer. I'm making my own socket, I found that the cheap sockets from fleet farm are thin enough, I'm tig welding another deep well on it. I still have to get the hinge removal tool.

Bondo

Staff member

I still have to get the hinge removal tool.

Ayuh,... A 1/2" allen key works perfectly...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I'm making my own socket, I found that the cheap sockets from fleet farm are thin enough, I'm tig welding another deep well on it.

That's what I did a few years ago, and it works great. What you will find however is that the plastic extension will screw off the shift cable and you will not even need the extra deep socket.

I also second the allen wrench for the hinge pin.

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

made the extension before I read your post, the extension fits perfect, problem is I use a 6 point socket, and it started to strip. What do they put those in with 1/2" impacts. I'm going to thread out the plasticand try a 6 point, if that fails, do I start cutting??

killerjeep01

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys, heres the update. Went to NAPA and got 1/2" allen, worked perfect,(THANK YOU BOND-O) Got the hinge things off, along with the fiber washers, cut all the old bellows off, now comes the fun, I for got about a new cooling hose, the one that is on it looks weather checked, guess I will go to the local extortion shop and see if they have one, and some bellows adhesive. The problem here is the 9/16 brass shift cable nut is now nice and round, and has decided to stay where its at, we will argue about that later. Bondo-o how do you feel about RTV sealant?? The guy in here last must of had stock in the stuff.

Attachments

• IMG00074-20110422-1033.jpg
    IMG00074-20110422-1033.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG00073-20110422-1032.jpg
    IMG00073-20110422-1032.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 2