thru hull fitting for ranger boats question??

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice
I have an older 1983 Ranger 330v and the overflow thru hull fitting broke off and was leaking water through it like crazy. It is the bigger hole in the back of the boat in which this fitting goes into and it is 1 1/4 inches with 1 1/8 inch inside diameter of the hose. That's not a problem to find but I'm having troubles finding a fitting with threads that are long enough to put the nut on after the fitting goes from the outside of the boat to the inside of the boat. I noticed while I was putting the fitting in through the outside of the boat that it fits so tight and snug that I had to thread it in there all the way instead of it just sliding in there (it was really a tight fit to get it to thread in there and a pain in the butt). Being that it is in there so tightly what does everyone think about it staying in there and not leaking without the nut on there and tightened down? I put a bunch of silicone on the threads and on the outside of the boat before I tightened it all the way down. It's in there now and I have pushed on it, pulled on it moved it up and down and there is no play in it at all whatsoever. Just wanting some opinions from other boaters to see if you think it will seal and stay in there being that it is so tight? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: thru hull fitting for ranger boats question??

IMHO.... It'll leak!!
I'd beat it out, make the hole a bit bigger, put the tube back in with 3M5200 to seal it. Then I'd know for sure it wouldn't leak. But... That's just my opinion. Others may think differently.;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well......... I would remove it and either replace it or strip all the silicone off. The silicone will fail unless it was a 4000 series 3m product.

iboats sells long tubes here http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac..._category.f--searched.1--**********.475676470 and I would reset the tube (it it was on my boat) using 3m 5200 which is a permanent sealant.

There is allot of pressure and pounding around those drains.

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the opinions they are always appreciated. as far as the 3m sealant i have never ever used that before. i have always used permatex rtv silicone sealant in all my thru hull fittings and have never had a bit of a problem. i have two livewell fittings in my ranger that are both sealed with silicone and two in my aluminum boat for the smaller lakes with permatex silicone and they have been like that for over 3 years and never had a problem at all. I am going to order a new fitting that will fit like it is supposed to but I was just wanting to make this one work hopefully for a few fishing trips till I can get the right one. I guess I will see tomorrow when I take it to the local lake and see what happens. My opinion is that it will hold and seal being that it's just an overflow for both livewells and there is no water pumped into just flows out but two people say it will leak so I guess I'm getting beat out on that one lol. I will post back tomorrow sometime just to let everyone know what happened.

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

fished all day today with about 10 hours on the water. some pretty rough choppy water at times driving up to 45 mph and it never leaked a drop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is this fitting going thru the Transom? If it is, I guarantee that with out some sort of sealant, water will penetrate. Whether you SEE it is debatable. If it is just going thru the side of the hull, Above the water line then I agree with you, No problem.

j_martin

Admiral

Wet transoms are fun

Transom1.jpg

transom2.jpg

transom3.jpg

illinoisbassfishin

Seaman Apprentice

It is below water line and it goes thru the hull in the back of the boat. It is the overflow tube if your livewells get too full and overflow. There is one tube that goes out the back of the boat for both livewells. And also I did use sealant. I posted earlier that I used sealant. Looks to me like it's good to go. There was never any water in the bottom of the boat where the fitting is located so it is sealed tight.