Just a little water in oil......am I in trouble ?

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ran boat for a couple hours yesterday....went back this morning and thought it might be a good idea to check the oil and at the very bottom of the dipstick not even an 1/8th of an inch but, enough I could see it was white.....I am assuming this is a problem? the oil itself is not milky.....I started engine and let it run thinking it might be condensation.....let it sit for an hour pulled stick and it was just white at the bottom....could not see anything milky at all.....thoughts?

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just a little water in oil......am I in trouble ?

I notice 35 folks have looked at the thread with no comments? I really think it is a stupid question to ask since to me common sense says any water in a motor is bad.....but, I have never had an inboard and I was hopefull it may not be bad.....

The marina winterized the boat and said they back up the work......I am assuming if it was something from winterizing it would be worse than what I am seeing? I am thinkking/guessing a gasket has started failing and maybe has a pin hole in it? The bellows were replaced six months ago so they should be good.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Right aftre you run it is all the dipstick milky? But any water in the oil is bad news. But I would take it back to the place that winterized it and have them check it out.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Post a pic of the dipstick if you can. If you run it and then look at it right away, is the oil on the dipstick...milk shake-ish? It wouldnt settle out in an hr and be at the bottom anyhow. It almost sounds like your engine is sludged out. Hmmmmm... Wierd. What does the bottom of the oil fill cap look like ? Can you look in the valve cover at all? Have you done a compression test or any of that?

Navigator_Victory

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might have been two or three hours it sat before I checked it......I have ran it and pulled the stick right after running and oil looked perfect.....also checked it after sitting and it was perfect.....but, Saturday was the longest it had ran since buying so....not sure if it was running it so long caused something to give out? water temp got to 175 and stayed there and I ran it for about two hours....about 30 min of that was consecutive running.....no compression checks yet....have not pulled oil cap...the ammount very very minimal but, enough to be noticeable

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Water in the oil mixes with the oil and takes quite a while to settle. Take it in and have someone look it ove is te best thing you could do.