2001 50 hp 2 stroke overheating while idling

czwally

Recruit
I have replaced the water pump and made sure there are no obstructions for the inlet. While idling the motor overheat alarm will come on. When I put the motor in gear and accelerate the alarm goes off. The same thing happens when ears are on the engine and it is idling. Rev the engine up and it cools properly. The thermostat is not sticking, it has been checked. It does the same thing with the thermostat out. When idling, the **** stream is not as forceful as when it is revved up. Any suggestions as to what to check next?

Thanks
czwally

M

Maxz695

Re: 2001 50 hp 2 stroke overheating while idling

there is obviously not enough water being sent from the new waterpump to the termostat housing area. I would check the water tube and backflush the water jackets you may have some impeller particals still in there somewhere, good luck. Just a thought though. did you replace the entire water pump just the impellor or a half kit ? (No Base) this may also be your problem

M

Maxz695

I would not recommend backflushing with the LU on any particals that come out may end up stuck in the new waterpump and cause damage to it when you restart the engine

czwally

Recruit

there is obviously not enough water being sent from the new waterpump to the termostat housing area. I would check the water tube and backflush the water jackets you may have some impeller particals still in there somewhere, good luck. Just a thought though. did you replace the entire water pump just the impellor or a half kit ? (No Base) this may also be your problem

I replaced the impeller only. I removed the base to make sure there was not an obstruction below it.

M

Maxz695

how about the cup in the upper housing was it clean? did you pull out the water tube? also did you remove the strainer to see if impeller parts fell down from the WP?

czwally

Recruit

I did none of this. I guess I need to get a manual to see how these steps are done.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You need to look very closely at the water pump base plate and the cup. These two stainless parts can get a 'groove' worn into one or both of them from the impeller hub, a new impeller will not seal correctly and will fail to pump enough water at low speeds exactly as you describe.

You may need the complete water pump rebuild kit to cure this, save the new impeller for next year.

czwally

Recruit

Thank you for this info. I replaced the complete watere pump and it worked just fine.