Can't get Neutral?

Engine344

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will start by saying I searched the old threads for an hour this morning, and still can't find an answer? 1986 Mariner OB2 engine 75 Hp. Cranking the engine the prop is spinning and when I turn prop by hand it stokes the engine (compression)? Is this an adjustment in the cable? What is the best place to start, I was thinking of disconnecting the cable and trying to find neutral by hand and see what happens....if the lower end is tore up I would be surprised, I think it is simpler than that.......any suggestions, Thanks in advance!

M

Maxz695

Re: Can't get Neutral?

that would be the next best step disconnect and try to get it from the engine you may have to turn the flywheel a bit to get it to shift GL

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can't get Neutral?

Remove the wrap cowl. Now remove the shift cable (bottom cable, port side), barrel nut from the clamp. Try to move shift slider into center of it's travel. If it is already there, the gearcase lower shift rod is misaligned with the upper shift rod. The gearase will need to be removed and the shafts resynched.

If the motor will shift into neutral when you pull on the slider, either the shift cable is broken, misadjusted or the control has an issue. If it shifts into neutral, set the control to neutral and adjust the shift cable barrel nut to just fit the clamp.