lower removeal

rogyboy2003

Recruit
hi there i have a 1987 suzy dt65hp outboard and i am needing to replace the impeller. i gave removed the bolts that are visible but the lower unit will not seperate. just wandering if any of you nive people have any hints and tips about hidden nuts and bolts that i am missing. its nearly summer time and in scotland i wanna get as much playtime as poss so help me please.:D

robert graham

Admiral
Re: lower removeal

Some motors have a bolt hidden under the zinc trim tab fin on the back bottom of cavitation plate. You may look for a plastic or rubber plug to remove and allow access to that bolt holding zinc in place. Once removed, look up in there for the other lower unit bolt. Good Luck!

mphelle8vld

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: lower removeal

There are 9 bolts holding your lower unit on, 4 down each side and 1 in the rear, none under the trim tab on your motor. You didn't mention it but make sure you have dissengaged the shift rod from the linkage under the bottom carb, there's a 12mm nut that needs to be unscrewed to move the linkage over to allow this. Ask more questions if you are unsure. If it still won't drop with all 9 bolts out and it's been operated in salt water do a search on this forum for removing lower units, there's a lot of information and ideas out there.