ATF? Mercruiser Power steering fluid? What do I use?

jet_pilot

Cadet
Just another quick question from a new boater. Just about ready to launch for the 2 nd year of boating and I noticed I am low on some steering fluid I believe. I have an engine driven pump on the port front side of the engine, there are 2 hydralink hoses that travel to what look like the steering arms on the transom, inside the pump is red fluid. I bought some mercruiser power steering/ trim fluid the otherday thinking that's what I would use only it's clear and the stuff in there is red? I searched the boat and the old owner had left a container of red ATF, it's the only red fluid I have on the boat... Should I add that? Can I put my clear mercruiser fluid in? What should I use? Running a 7.4 l 454 mercruiser with bravo 2 leg.

Thanks again
Barret

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: ATF? Mercruiser Power steering fluid? What do I use?

The 97 owners manual for my 454 indicates Mercruiser Power trim/PS fluid or Dexron III

It's just a simple hydraulic pump. Any ATF will work. I used Dexron because it's red. If I see red fluid, it's a PS leak. (or trim pump leak)

By the way, you can use regular motor oil in your trim pump if you want it to be different....

jet_pilot

Cadet
Re: ATF? Mercruiser Power steering fluid? What do I use?

Thanks again! I will keep it the same and use the ATF the old owner had on the boat, I believe it's dextron.

Barret