1995 Evinrude 225 charging issue

The Capt

Cadet
OK. To start I've looked all over the forum and have found nothing similar to my problem. My 225 was bought from a used motor dealer. They did the install. All seemed great. Brought the boat home and took it out and noticed the tech was not working. I checked online to see what a tipical cause would be and found it may be the charging system. Checked the voltage with the motor running and had a little over 12V. The same as if the motor wasn't running. Took it back to the repair shop to have them check the charging system and the tach that worked priot to the install. They called me and said the motor is charging fine and that all the warrenty is good for is to the motor wiring harness connector. Anything in the boat would be extra. They said they hooked up their remote box (Ignition switch, tach, and batt volt gauge) to the motor and it was fine. I still havent got more than 12.2V at the batts or the starter selinoid where the regulator hooks up at any rpm. I took it back again and they showed it running hooked up to the box and it was charging by their gauge. I still have 12.2V I know this is long winded and such. Is there something in the wiring of the boat (ignition switch etc) that would make the charging system not work?

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1995 Evinrude 225 charging issue

you need to buy a DVA adapter, a multi meter and got to CDI electronics web site in the support section is a trouble shooting guide for free. it will tell you how to test your electronics. my guess is that your regulator/rectifier is bad, this will effect tach operation and charging issues, could also burn up the stator and cause further damage. you can also look up your part on the CDI site and download the install sheet, which will have specific test for each part.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

The purple wire going into regulator-rectifier needs 12. Volts
when key is turned on to make it work.
I would check that if you saw it working with
There harness hooked to it.
You should have seen 13. + volts when charging?

The Capt

Cadet

Big flop, Thank you very much sir. Checked the purple coming out of the harness in the concole. It was not hooked to anything. I guess the old motor had the newer regulator that doent have the purple. Hooked it to ign. power. Started up. And charging like a champ.