1996 150 Johnson Ocean Runner Problems

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all. Look I have a 1996 150 Johnson Ocean Runner, My engine light will come on when I got full throttle but then goes off when I slow down. there is also a little knock or spitting kinda sound. I just changed all the plugs and was wondering what is next to check. Also anther question.. It's on a 20" Neptune boat but at full throttle it runs about 35. I think it should run a little faster than that. Does anyone know what kind of speed the Johnson should give me or is that about it.

lightning2

Cadet
Re: 1996 150 Johnson Ocean Runner Problems

I've got a 20' neptune with a 1998 johnson 150 on it. It runs out at about 45. That is until I have problems after shutting down and restarting when hot. Thats another story however.

SparkieBoat

Captain

compression and spark test with a spark gap tester @ 7/16 gap

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Check Engine light is a fuel restriction. I recommend you find the source of the restriction, before the motor runs lean and something breaks. Check mainstrainer under airbox, anti-siphon valve and all external filters. Fuel line must be 3/8" inside diameter.

What RPM are you seeing at 35MPH? I think you should get a higher speed, but you need to post the compression numbers and spark test results, before we can tell.

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

going to check compression and going to check out filters and anti siphon in the morning. How many of them are there. I know the one in the elbow on top of the gas tank

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

When I took the kids out today on it. It had a hard time with speed it only got up to 20-24 mph. Then check engine alarm would come on at full throttle but turn off once I slowed it down. I also heard a knocking sound a little when speed the boat up or when I put it in neutral and pushed the throttle up some. What could this be and what do I need to check for the speed issue and the knocking sound. I can do a video if needed let me know. But going to check compressions in the morning and also change the fuel/water filter

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

Any Ideas I need some help......

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

changed out the bulb and put a external filter between the bulb and the engine. This is all I did so far today.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

your problem is fuel restriction!!!!!!!! address that issue.....look into a clogged fuel filter someplace...a closed vent on your gas tank... a weak fuel pump, a pinched line....

the supply is enough for a certain amount of rpms, but not enough for WOT....

when you slow down fast the engine will always make that knocking sound....

a knocking sound while into the throttle is bad though!!!

there is a filter in the front of the fuel component bracket it is part of the nut that holds the fuel line to the bracket.

bob

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

Ok what I did today was took the screen out of the vent and cleaned it but it looked fine. Then I took the hose off the tank and used my air compressor to blow air though the line. It seams to have no kinks or clogs. I did not take it out today to see if that fixed the problem but what I noticed yesturday was when I WOT the primer bulb would be really easy to push. Should it be full and hard to push while drive with WOT? What should I check for that. Thanks for all the help so far.....

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No only hard for first time start. Then fuel pump should take over at that point. Bulb will be soft, but motor should still be getting fuel. Provided fuel pump is in good working order.

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

Doing a compression test today on them. What do you all think they should be? also I ordered a water/fuel filter it should be in this morning at 8am also.

Bseverini

Seaman Apprentice

Okay new problem... The results of the compression test and spark test are as followed. Spark was test with gap at 7/16 gap

Right Side Left Side
110, good spark 110, NO Spark
110, good spark 120, Weak Spark
110, good spark 110, NO Spark

So the new problem is the left side is not getting any spark at all. I checked the Shift switch and it seams to be working fine. The RPM are lower when it is pressed. I did a light test on the wire from the right side and there is steady power going to the right side of coils. But on the left side there is no power from the wires going to the Coils. The Power pack was put in last year Manufactured in 2008. I checked the connections in all the wire but they seam to be all connected well. does anyone have a wire diagram they could post or send me in email dink1977@suddenlink.net for the coil and all the wires? Not sure what to check now. Please PLEASE HELP......