74 6hp fisherman 6402c issue

boater121

Seaman Apprentice
when i open twist to wot i still can open butterfly more at least 1/4 in....not running when i do this.also on the armature control the pin that goes in bottom broke on one side..will that effect anything..motor runs good just does seem to get to wot..coils plugs water pump carb redone..should i do the condensers and points as well? cam follower has groove in it..

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 74 6hp fisherman 6402c issue

When you open throttle full look down throat of carb & see if butterfly is flat = WOT
You should replace lower pin before other half breaks.
Points & condensers should be replaced as maintenance item.
They get pitted & rubbing block wears out.
If not replaced at least inspected

boater121

Seaman Apprentice

it wasnt opening completely...i cleaned points several times..but the have deep pits in them uneven marks on them too..thanks for the info.... a piece of vaccuum hose on the cam follower helped the butterfly open completely

AlTn

Commander

That "pin" is about $6 at the dealer and easy to replace...when your throttle plate is horizontal, is the roller on the highest part of the timing cam?

boater121

Seaman Apprentice

it is now... the cam follower had groove which was causing poor mix setting..piece of vaccum tubing helped... and the pin that is broke is causing timing plate to move causing bad idle and mix setting it moves while running i have marina bout 2 sec from home checking on that pin..timed according to joe reeves..did both Wot and slow timing and points are dead on either way thinking bout replacing points and condensers to have all new ignition..did coils already..