Minor water damage to rear deck, Your opinions and solutions count

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMAG0230.jpgIMAG0231.jpgIMAG0226.jpgIMAG0227.jpgI have minor water damage to rear deck behind front seats to rear seats. Plywood started to peal/flake. Sanded down to fresh wood, applied jasco wood preservative leting dry for 2 weeks, then appling oil base primer for wood and complete with oil base rustoleum. Next year plan is to cover with poly resin and fiber cloth. can i apply this on top of the paint? Yes unfortunately wife likes carpet. This is on 1987 bayliner capri.. edges of wood against hull are nice and coated with fib&resin.
Want are your thoughts and direction?

Last edited:

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: Minor water damage to rear deck, Your opinions and solutions count

Its trashed .. total resto coming up soon for the Iboats resto forum :) .

Got pics ?

YD.

dheaton883

Cadet

I agree with YD, you need to replace the wood. I tried patching rotten wood with new wood but that didnt do much and wasnt waterproof after that. I ended up taking the top off and replacing all the wood and fiberglassing over it all to waterproof it. I ended up using 4 gallons of resin and fiberglass to cover all the wood. It was a lot of work but I still have a new boat smell in it.this is a project that a newbie can do, this was the first time i used fiberglass and doing anything witha boat. Good luck and if you need sugestions just post.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ha, just done this on the same boat!!

I had a soft area that I found was caused by a leaking cover - it was rotting from the top down and not from the bottom up. Here's how I repaired it.

The Capri has a 1/2" deck so I got a piece of new ply and screwed it to the existing deck and then marked where I wanted to cut so that I was cutting into solid deck wood.

I then set my circular saw to 1" depth and started to chop out the ply wood. After finishing the cut I unscrewed the old piece of deck leaving me with a new piece of deck that would drop into the hole I had cut. Using strips of ply, I screwed them in under the old deck edges, creating a shelf for the new piece to fit to and I dropped it in and screwed it to the shelf pieces. I coated the underneath with several coats of Minwax varnish - should have used resin but it hadn't arrived when I did this.

Anyway, I then laid down a layer of chopped strand mat and used poly resin over the whole area with about a 6" overlap over the old deck. When this was dry, I sanded the whole deck and laid down f/g mat with poly resin - this was to waterproof the old deck which seems to only be part glassed in the factory.

I finished off with two coats of epoxy resin over the entire deck to seal it and ensure that the brittle poly resin wouldn't be affected by any flex in the deck.

Finally I laid new deck carpeting (cos it's a play boat, not a work/fish boat) and it's really solid now.

By the way, I did check the stringers and transom when I had the deck up - luckily in my case everything was dry and solid - it's an outboard model and I think they stand up better than the I/O models in this regard.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Ha, just done this on the same boat!!

No boats are the Same .. I doubt you Done this on His boat :) .

You can have the Same year make model..but its NOT the same ;) ..

Not picking on ya... .. Peace ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

First off, WELCOME to iBoats!!

Usually when plywood delaminates there is NO going back. It needs to be replaced. If it were mine, I would be planning on replacing the deck next year. I would also be prepared for additional work in that, if the deck allow water to get below, the stringers could have been damaged as well as the transom. Do some searching here on the forum for Deck, stringer and transom replacement and you will see what I am talking about. You will get a LOT of help with your project but we like to do things the RIGHT way, and are really not to agreeable to PATCH JOBS

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got pics ?

Just added some pre-wood preservative and post treatment pictures.
wood is solid I jumped up and down on it (180lbs)IMAG0230.jpgIMAG0231.jpgIMAG0226.jpgIMAG0227.jpg

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

No boats are the Same .. I doubt you Done this on His boat :) .

You can have the Same year make model..but its NOT the same ;) ..

Not picking on ya... .. Peace ..

YD.

LOL

Must be a slow day for ya ;)

Palace - drill a hole with a hole saw and check underneath to make sure it's rotting from the top down - rather than bottom up. You can glass the cut piece back in easily afterwards.

palace

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dry, like the heat. stringers and transom dry, clean and solid. Will start painting the deck tomorrow.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You do realize I was kidding about it being trashed and needing a total resto right :) . ( Its just that seems to be the common reply to seeing wet and wood in the same sentence now a days lol ) .

It does not seem/look that bad from your pics ( but only you know for sure ).

As far as your question about laminating over your paint..no you should remove all the paint before glassing.

YD.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Got pics ?

YD.

So you were just just being a smart a**?