Difficult cranking

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have purchased a 2001 Monterey 302CR. Twin 5.0L VP's.

Problem:
When cranking, turn on ignition, move crank switch to first stop, get the twin "beeps", Port engine cranks right up and goes to idle at about 600 rpm. :D

Stbd engine when cold, cranks right up, most of the time. IF it has been cranked before that day, it turns over OK but I have to place the throttle in neutral and give it some gas to get it to start. Once started, runs great!! It is just the starting that is messed up. Sounds like the chock system would be screwed up but it is a fuel injected engine.:confused:

Any thoughts without a $95/hr fix?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Difficult cranking

What is the full model number or serial number of the engine?

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Model No. 3869057 Serial Number: 4012031874

Of course that is one engine but they are the same.

Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your model number is 5.7GiPEFS, the 386 number is the spec number. It's a 2000 model engine, now you know why I asked. Year models start at different times for engines than the boat itself.

Have you done any troubleshooting or checking anything?
You need to change the fuel filter, and check the contents of the old filter. That's very important. Pour the contents out of the old filter into a clear continer and see if there is water in the fuel.
You also need to do a compression test like this http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/97/97_25.pdf
When was the last full tuneup, spark plugs, cap and rotor?