Help with Hydro Electric Shift.

SigSaurP229

Commander
So I am kind of at a stand still.

Stuck my Hydro Electric drive is stuck in default forward.

So far I know I have power to the green wire upon starting the ignition.

Beyond that, I have jumped a hot wire directly from the battery to the green wire, I can hear the solenoids engage but no shift.

I think I am at the end of the electrical troubleshooting.

I think it is mechanical

I have discovered that this is actually a 1970 lower on a 1972 powerhead.

Do I need to disassemble the lower to diagnose everything and even then if I do pull it how will I know what to change?

I get no grinding or anything when I put power to the solenoids absolutely nothing happens (other than the click from the solenoid).

Additionally I have checked that the lower is absolutely full, and that I have used Premium Blend or Type C gear oil formulated for electric shift.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with Hydro Electric Shift.

Can we safely assume you know it has to be running? If you have 12V to the green wire, and you can hear the solenoids click, and it is full of the proper oil, and it is running, but won't come out of forward, there is a malfunction within the lower unit.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Help with Hydro Electric Shift.

F_R

This is during cranking, I am under the impression that it is supposed to within one revolution of the flywheel go to Neutral. No water source for running. I am fairly certain it is still stuck in forward as the prop only spins one direction while cranking, will not stop spinning nor will it go to reverse while cranking.