Tach settings

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok i have been searching for a while on here but ran out of lunch time to continue. I bought a new used tach today and it has a few different settings on it. What setting is it for the 20 pole tachs? I have a 10 6 and 4 setting on it. It is a rather old tach and the guy swears it is for a 20 pole. If it isnt then i can take it back and get another. Just wanted to know where to set it at. If i was reading right it would be a 10 since it is half number of poles. However i also read it should be on 4 so i am confused it is on that 1985 85 hp force outboard motor. Thanks guys.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tach settings

Sounds like it needs to be set at 10 (one half of the poles). Looks like that tach is compatible with 8,12, or 20 pole outboards. Good luck...

TMALEGA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tach settings

Well that is what i set it too. I put it in and did a bump test to see if the needle would move no gas in engine just battery and it jumped up and was doing all it was suppose to do without starting up. So I will be testing it very soon. Most likely tomorrow or saturday. Am quit excited now.