Is this pump incorrectly connected?

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I am looking at the way the pump was connected to the engine and the diagrams from the book, as well as markings on the pump and this does not add up. Something is incorrect. Take a look how "IN" line is connected to the "OUT" but there is no way to connect the pump other way around. Also "OUT" has to be lower than "IN" yet the markings are wrong, and the pulse connection is down, not up. What is going on here? And filter seem to be pointed to the wrong direction.

b400ec62.jpg

a1e11d49.jpg

7cfc5a65.jpg

36248263.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is this pump incorrectly connected?

Your photos don't show enough. However, the filter should be on the outlet side, between the pump and carb and fuel flow should be in that direction through the filter. SO: if the fuel supply hose is connected to the top of the filter, just change it to the inlet nipple and connect the carb line to the filter.

The pump and diaphragms have points cast into them to show correct orientation. You also need to check behind the pump to be certain that the impulse hole is correctly aligned with the hole in the bypass cover.

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ah ok, filter goes in between pump and the carb, not before the pump. So hoses were switched than. I am confused why first image shows outlet on the right, and lower than "IN" side. Maybe it was incorrectly oriented in the book?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

The pump on my motor is mounted exactly the same as yours. The picture in the manual is upside down compared to the way my pump is mounted.

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you guys, I switched the hoses and it works fine now.