Need to use Marine Tex on bottom of hull.....

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
...so since gravity will be working against it as it cures, what type of tape should I use to cover after I apply it over the area I'm covering? (are being covered only about 2" by 1/8"....

thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need to use Marine Tex on bottom of hull.....

Ayuh,... Plain ole painters tape is what I used...

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have repaired a few dings with marine tex and never had to use any tape,it always stuck to the hull

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on the outside temperature when you're applying it. In my case, I used blue painter's tape and it came off perfectly when cured.
I was applying mine in 65 degrees weather so it took a while to set.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If it is warm outside or the repair is vertical or particularly deep the stuff will sag. Tip, apply a heat gun and it will set much faster. In those cases, I agree with the advice to use 3M blue painter's tape, that's what I do.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I have not used Marine Tex, but the Gelcoat repair kits I have used come with a fairly firm/thick sheet of cellophane. It is cut to slightly larger than the repair and then that is taped to the hull. When removed you have a very smooth surface that barely needs any sanding if there is not much overage of the repair material. Comes off shiny smooth.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it will be about 55 degrees outside when i do it. I imagine once I get the package it will show optimal temp. I am going to hit it with heat for sure as I apply. I'll be using the Good ole fashioned painters tape. I'll be home anyway so I can keep popping out and checking to make sure gravity doesn't pull it down with the tex.
thanks a bunch~

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have not used Marine Tex, but the Gelcoat repair kits I have used come with a fairly firm/thick sheet of cellophane. It is cut to slightly larger than the repair and then that is taped to the hull. When removed you have a very smooth surface that barely needs any sanding if there is not much overage of the repair material. Comes off shiny smooth.

I have use clear packing tape and it works great with perfect results too!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Blue..white..clear..purple tape it does not matter.

Your going to sand and buff whatever filler you use anyways.

However..you dont have pics and I have learned from experience that " small scratches " sometimes mean Large gouges and that Mtex stuff would be the wrong product to use.

YD.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oooh it's no deep gouge, like I said in the beginning, only 2" by 1/8". It's just deep enough to go through the gel coat. I know the color of tape doesn't matter, but I darn sure DO know from past experience holding my mouth right is key to any form of activity requiring any level of concentration. :)