Mercruiser reverse lock valve leak and other problems

Patchwork1

Recruit
First post, long time lurker!

So I'm usually able to figure out 95% of the problems my boat has, but my shop manual doesn't have any information on this. I have noticed that the reverse lock valve has been leaking fluid. I replaced the entire pump about 10 years ago, and I'm pretty sure it is the new one that has it's own reverse lock valve built in.

This is the pump:
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/MEST1088M-K/MER3A

I feel like I read somewhere last season when I first noticed the leak that I can bypass he reverse lock valve. Any thoughts on this since the pump has it's own check valve?

A second possibly related problem is the stern unit tilts up in reverse. If the valve is leaking could this be the reason why? The slip is enough for the propeller to pull up to the surface of the water. I'm not using much power to reverse either. My OMC doesn't do that at all in reverse.

I also forgot to mention that one trim cylinder was completely replaced, and the other one I rebuilt today. The brand new cylinder "springs" to it's retracted state when i take it off the drive, but the one I rebuilt doesn't. Is this normal?

Mercruiser 898
Alpha One Drive

Thanks,
Patrick

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser reverse lock valve leak and other problems

Ayuh,... Take the lock-out valve right Out, 'n plumb the return line directly to the pump...

That updated pump don't need the valve, it's got a check-valve built into it...
You may have to swap out the return line from the transom manifold to the pump....
I don't think the plastic line going to the valve will fit right...