Exhaust Plate Bolts- Unavailable?

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All

I just went to a bolt supplier and have bought some high tensile bolts for the exhaust, but they are 1" instead of 1&1/8th" ( sorry- we use metric in AUS). Will they be OK to use a bit shorter, or do I get longer and cut them down? There is an option of a hex head high tensile in the exact size, but I am wary of a hex head being torques to 70 ft pounds...... What do I do?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Exhaust Plate Bolts- Unavailable?

I would prefer to use the exact same size. I replaced mine with stainless steel bolts that are the same size as the original. Not sure if that's better, but the stainless are pretty tough. I check them periodically and so far so good. It's been 4 years now. These bolts should be torqued to 70 INCH pounds, not 70 FOOT pounds. That is 7.9 Nm.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Since the holes are quite deep. you can use a 1/4 X 20 BOTTOM tap and tap them further in. Then you can use 1 1/4 long bolts with a washer under the head.

beckspop

Seaman

Not sure if they have Fasenal down there, but I got an entire bolt set for my powerhead including exhaust for less than $35 usd all cad plated grade 8. There's a thread on this forum about it with pics. I'm sure they'll ship to AUS...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

iboats say's they have them.Go to the 88/85 site and look under powerhead.$.77 each.For some reason they don't have them on the 125 site.
I think they sell to our southern neighbors.J