Trailer heavy enough?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer heavy enough?

What does a 43 foot crest houseboat weigh??? Look at the tire sidewall carefully! What is the maximum load capacity of the tire at its maximum inflation pressure. Multiply that number by six. If total tire capacity exceeds houseboat weight plus weight of the trailer plus the weight of 10 more feet, you are good to go. If not you ain't!! It's that simple.

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Silvertip I was going to beef it up and add another axle.

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer

I need more information, Like what are you going to tow it with. How far ,on any main roads. How wide is it. How high is it. that sort of stuff.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well the fact is..... there is no way this question can be answered with the info given.... the pic is too small to see anything. Also, If you are qualified to "beef it up" then you don't need anyone to tell you how strong it is..... Generally the steel that gets added to trailers after the fact does very little to strengthen them and only adds weight.

Some high res pics may help somewhat but honestly you need someone on site to make this call

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

now that I think about it..... I've never seen anything that big moved on less than 10 or 12 tires

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Silvertip I was going to beef it up and add another axle.

Adding one axle means you will still have about 7 feet hanging out the back. That length is simply cantilevered and will support very little weight. Just because there is something for the boat to sit on does not mean it is capable of supporting that weight. A 43 foot houseboat is probably at least 10 feet wide. If that's the case, you do realize it takes special permits to tow it??

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Silvertip I just thought someone on here had a boat like this and would post.The boat weight is 8200lbs. which does not include accessories or fuel.That was a pic. of a houseboat trailer that was Factory Made for a 35 foot houseboat.That i thought i could do something with.Which i can buy cheap!!! And i do know the law on hauling boats since i am a truck driver and owner.And the pic. is small that's why i put the link in. Thanks again

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm just guessing here but I really doubt that the boat is that light.... I would also expect it to be 14 or 16 wide

My 28' by 10' beam is around 10,000 lbs I wouldn't be surprised if a 43'er was 20 or 30k

I missed the link... I'll look

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well the trailer doesn't look too bad.... alot also depends on how far you're going.... 5 blocks or 500 miles makes a huge difference..... How sure are you on the weight? Is this a pontoon style boat? what is it constructed from?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If it's really only 8200 lb it would have to be a pontoon boat I think. Or half dirigible :confused:

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice

Yes men it is a pontoon boat. And that is Factory weight spec. I will haul about 50 miles.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Ok so the first thing you need to do is verify the axle rating sometimes it is stamped near the center of the axle itself you can also measure the bearings but I'm not sure how, some one else here will know though, then I would do a full bearing service and inspection as well as a complete inspection of the steel on the trailer and any suspect areas repaired, then maybe do a test run around the block and see how it feels before going all the way. There are a few things that concern me but we really need better pictures to go anywhere else. The coupler I would like to see and the main beam dimensions of the trailer, the age if possible.

Verifying the ratings of the axles will tell us if you have enough axle to carry your load from there we can move on, 3 2500LB axles are almost there but your still overloaded, it might be a better idea to upgrade the 3 axles to 3500Lb then to add a fourth 2500 Lb axle, I have to believe 4 axles is going to make you stand out like a sore thumb to the popo, you don't need any more attention!! That's going to be quite a load!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

He claims to be a truck driver so I would guess he knows what GVWR means and how to determine it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

So what your saying is you believe he knows what the trailer can haul already?

blackbelt5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone going to go ahead and buy this trailer.I think i can make it work. Thanks again