Mercruiser 888/302 removal?

Phfantasm

Cadet
This is my first post, and the search function has not been kind to me....
Long story to short story... i test drove a restored 1977 glassmaster bowrider with a guy, bought it for 4 grand ( every dime i had in my boat budget)... next day, i launched it and when trying to go into reverse i heard some grinding, so i took it out of gear.. now it wont go into gear at all... so it seems the coupler is shot... as the motor runs and the outdrive will go into gear but nothing else happens.... looks like i was jammed with a broken boat and i have to pull the motor before ever getting to enjoy this thing...
Anyhow, to replace the coupler i have to remove the engine... my questions are...
1. Does the outdrive have to be removed?
2. Will the engine come forward enough to remove without pulling the outdrive?
3. Is there anywhere that i can get a manual online?
4. should I cry...? should i tow into the gulf and sink it?

1ruralmailman

Seaman
Re: Mercruiser 888/302 removal?

answers to your questions in order.1 no,but should be for inspection and isnt that big a deal.2 yes,some will tell you no,but i have done it on my boat it is easier to get back in though with the outdrive off so your call.look in the adult only sticky section don has at the top of the page.there is alot of info there for free.as for online manuals,i went through seloc marine.com. on the crying part go ahead if it makes ya feel better,as for sinking in the gulf big hell no,donate it to the charities that make coin from them first.
i know where you are at.wife and i bought a "decent looking boat" turned out to be a total rip job.guy had covered a cracked block with silicone,it held long enough for us to buy it and him to get out of town.oh well live and learn.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

#1,.. Yes, absolutely, but it ain't bad at all,...8 nuts, 'n it's off...
#2,.. The motor has to be lifted, 'n replanted onto it's mounts Straight up, 'n down...
#3,.. Ya, somebody'll be along, 'n post up the factory manuals for ya...
#4,.. Cry if ya want, but it don't really help much,...

I'd pull the drive 1st, 'n manually Test it, 'n have a look around at the rest of it...
If the coupler is Shot, there'll be debris around the aft end of the motor, 'n the shaft won't be turnin' when the motor is...

Is there any oil in the drive,..??
Drain it, 'n Look for debris...

Bondo

Staff member

answers to your questions in order.1 no,but should be for inspection and isnt that big a deal.2 yes,some will tell you no,but i have done it on my boat it is easier to get back in though with the outdrive off so your call.look in the adult only sticky section don has at the top of the page.there is alot of info there for free.as for online manuals,i went through seloc marine.com. on the crying part go ahead if it makes ya feel better,as for sinking in the gulf big hell no,donate it to the charities that make coin from them first.
i know where you are at.wife and i bought a "decent looking boat" turned out to be a total rip job.guy had covered a cracked block with silicone,it held long enough for us to buy it and him to get out of town.oh well live and learn.

Ayuh,.... How'd ya realign the motor, when the outdrive was still on the boat,..??

Phfantasm

Cadet

I'd pull the drive 1st, 'n manually Test it, 'n have a look around at the rest of it...
If the coupler is Shot, there'll be debris around the aft end of the motor, 'n the shaft won't be turnin' when the motor is...

Is there any oil in the drive,..??
Drain it, 'n Look for debris...

Yes, there is oil in the drive... hasnt been inspected yet, i have had the boat now for 48 hours
with someone to turn the prop and the shifter in gear, i can watch the shaft turn
with the engine running, the shaft does NOT turn...

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, there is oil in the drive... hasnt been inspected yet, i have had the boat now for 48 hours
with someone to turn the prop and the shifter in gear, i can watch the shaft turn
with the engine running, the shaft does NOT turn...

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya did yer Diagnosis, Right....;)

Like Bubba said, time to pull the drive, Then the motor...

Phfantasm

Cadet

well... cant be worse than pulling a truck engine (i work for a dodge dealership)... so i guess my weekend will be full... question is now, Can anyone give me an idea of what all i should buy at the same time??
I.E. gaskets? bellows? coupler ? anything else like that

Bondo

Staff member

well... cant be worse than pulling a truck engine (i work for a dodge dealership)... so i guess my weekend will be full... question is now, Can anyone give me an idea of what all i should buy at the same time??
I.E. gaskets? bellows? coupler ? anything else like that

Ayuh,... Boat motors are Waaaaaay easier than a truck or car...

You'll need to tear it down, 'n Inspect everything,...

If the gimbel bearing ain't smooth as butter turnin',.. Replace it...
If the lower shift cable, 'n the bellows are 5 years old, or older,.. Replace 'em...
If ya don't know that the impeller has been changed,... Kit it...
You Will need the outdrive gasket kit,... It's a $6.00 set from Napa...

Phfantasm

Cadet

Thanks a ton for the replies....
Is there any place you recommend for buying parts online?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... iboats megamall of course....

Phfantasm

Cadet

Update.... Bondo-o I had the outdrive off in 5 mins...literally.... and the engine out in 2 hours..... a breeze... i found the engine was way way out of alignment, to the point that the alternator was almost touching the floor.. Visible lean to the front. the coupler is so torn up it has NO splines left in it. I also found a dripping drain plug in the oil pan and a good craftsman screwdriver under the motor... AND... a local parts dealer has the parts in stock... coupler,shift cable,cable bellows, outdrive gasket kit for $445 with tax

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's too bad that you didn't get to enjoy the boat first. But stuff happens...(mine was taking on water thru shift bellows first outing) It seems like you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Once you see how easy things are, it's not so bad working on your own boat. Good to hear that forward progress is being made. It will be worth it in the end... it always is! :)

Phfantasm

Cadet

New update, got my part today... around 230 i started and by 530 i was washing my hands... i kid you not when i say this, i knew the engine was too low, so i turned the motor mount adjusting nuts up 5 turns before lowering the motor down, set the motor in place, and used a borrowed alignment tool, its slid right in, i tightened down the mounts and torqued them (tightened to 2 "ughhhs" ) tried the alignment tool again, even smoother.... how is that for luck? changed my oil, put royal purple in the outdrive and tommorow morning, weather willing, i water test her..!!!
Very easy job.... Thanks for the help guys!!