Bad ignition coil

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So after all, my iginition coil was bad, I bought a simple spark test and there was no spark. I ordered a new one off eBay. I am wondering if the wire that goes to the power pack, does the wire go FROM the powerpack to coil, or from coil to powerpack? The wire is orange in color.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bad ignition coil

The individual wires from the powerpack attach to the ignition coils.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you said orange wire, is this mtr a V-6 ?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SirEnvy, you MUST tell us what engine you are talking about. Better yet, reply to your original post. We have no idea what you are talking about.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

SirEnvy, you MUST tell us what engine you are talking about. Better yet, reply to your original post. We have no idea what you are talking about.

Im sorry guys...I have a 1985 Evinrude 150. I have no spark in cylinder #5. I conducted a spark test today to find out that I have no spark coming from my coil.

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

swap it out with another one to see if it is bad, or the powerpack is bad.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

A powerpack can be bad and the engine will still run, it happens all the time. If the coil is good, it DOES NOT always mean the powerpack is bad, you need to do a good job of testing to eliminate all potential problems that could exist. Check the wires, and yes even the lug on that cylinder, I have actually seen plugs cause a flat out dead hole.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I installed the coil today and redid my spark test. Come to find out, that it was never my coil, because my new coil does not have spark either....I am thinking power pack....thoughts?

AlTn

Commander

from the part nos. of the powerpack, both are the same...have you tried swapping them from side to side to see if it follows the pack?...the cylinder that isn't firing?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

maybe I am missing something...what else could possibly spark the cylinder if the coil isnt bad and the wire isnt bad? I know the coil is attached to the power pack, so im assuming that has to be it.

AlTn

Commander

What I am suggesting is to swap the packs to "verify" your diagnosis..if the known good pack restores spark to #5...and the "suspect" pack causes a no spark on the other bank's sister cylinder..then you're right....if no difference, ie., cyl 5 is still a no spark...you'll need to look elsewhere

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, I am following you. Let me ask you this, what else could be the problem of not having a spark to that specific cylinder.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You could have a faulty powerpack or a faulty timer base, or a bad connection leading from the timer base to the powerpack.... many possibilities.

Follow AlTn's trouble shooting advice and swap packs first. He is giving you the proper steps to follow in order to eliminate expensive guess work.

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will do. I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to help out. Thanks!

AlTn

Commander

from the diagrams at marineengine.com...looks to be the voltage regulator..it's not a powerpack...do you have a model no. for this engine?...manual?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The model # is E150TXCOS and no I do not have a manual. I followed the wires from the coils and this is where it seem to go, but what do I know. I cant tell where exactly the powerpack is on the diagram, so I dunno.

AlTn

Commander

each coil has a sparkplug lead and a lead from the powerpack..3 coils /side...follow the leads from the coils and they"ll connect to the powerpack..1 powerpack/bank of cylinders...both powerpacks are the same

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did follow and thats where they went. I wasnt sure if thats the powerpack so I took a picture. I am thinking maybe its a cover or something. I can even see the orange wires curl into this black box. When I look online for a new powerpack, nothing looks like that. I appreciate your help ALTn, being a newb, I am glad there are people out there willing to take their time to help out other people.