Need fuel / oil mixture for Elgin motor

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need fuel / oil mixture for Elgin motor

60090 is likely a 63 7.5.Built by McCulloch
I believe 48:1 is suggested for 63 and later motors using TCW3 rated oil.

mike sabinas

Recruit

I have just joined this group and I will tell you of my self, I am retired Navy Seabee CMC, I have been sailing since I was 12 when I built my first sailboat from 2 old fuel tanks and a sail my mom made out of some old sheets and the woods gave me the mast and boom , I have boated all over the world. My wife of 45 yaers has been my first mate on most of my boating past (except when I was 12 ) The old gal next door asked me if I would like an old elgin outboard her husband had gotten before he past and I said sure It would be nice on my avon rubber dingy( it made her feel good she said that someone would use the motor. Buttttttt I have no kind of info on the old motor and will ask if any of you know a few things about it . It is a 1962 elgin 3.6 hp model # 574.60020 (cross ref from elgin sites, it is a lite cream color , I would think that is the factory color because all of the factory stickers are there (except the top half of model sticker, fuel mix) and does not look like it was painted,, I would like to know what the oil/fuel mix is and if I can use un-leaded gas or will I need to use a lead add, from what I think the diff sites I have been on I will not need to and I could use un-leaded??? and one last question what is the point gap, I would like to thank all that respond======Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your motor started life as a 3.5hp Scott-Atwater in 1946, increased to 3.6hp in 1947, and continued virtually unchanged for many years. The Scott-Atwater company was sold to McCulloch, maker of your model, still nearly the same motor as back in the 1940's. I suppose the fuel mix has been changed a few times, but personally I run mine at 24:1. You won't go wrong doing likewise. And no, you don't need lead. In fact, back in the old days people went out of their way to get "marine white" gas---now it is sold everwhere as regular unleaded.

Those were good motors. probably the reason they survived unchanged for so many years.