New powerhead head gaskets leaking?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
I got a new powerhead in October for my '97 Johnson 115. I got it from a pretty reputable OMC rebuilder in FL.

It was installed up here in NY, by a very reputable OMC shop. The powerhead has about 5 hours on it and it's being run at 25:1 and I've been following break in procedures. Engine runs great.

Uncovered the boat for Spring, took the engine cover off to run it, and I see what looks to be salt crystals at the top of both head gaskets, and both salt crystals and water sitting on top of the heads, both sides. The engine is flushed after every use, and was obviously run on muffs out of the water when fogged in December.

I have heard that sometimes head gaskets can make a powdery substance that looks like salt, but this substance it too crystal like, doesn't look like powder, looks like salt crystals. Also you can see in the below pics that where it has been sitting all winter the paint is gone now and there is slight corrosion.

Is it possible for these HG's to be leaking already, and would they leak like this? Is this a defect? Is this something else? I plan on taking this back to the shop that installed the powerhead but I wanted to post on here to satisfy my own curiosity and get an impartial answer from someone not responsible for the work.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. Port head is kind of hard to see or get a good picture of, 3rd pic down. Thanks.

DSCF0255.jpg

DSCF0256.jpg

DSCF0257.jpg

DSCF0258.jpg

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New powerhead head gaskets leaking?

Looks normal. I think you get a small amount of seepage through the gasket paper to the outside. It is important to have a tight seal between the combustion chambers and the water jackets. Did your mechanic say anything about retorquing the headbolts after 10 hours of operation?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

No he didn't mention it, but I know enough that I know to do that. I was planning on selling this boat so I didn't think I would even have through the break in period, but things changed and now I will be keeping it for this season at least.

So it's normal/semi-normal for some water to seep from the HG's? I know I've seen this before, but was also told that OMC used to use a gasket sealer that would degrade and look like powder/salt on top of the head. Just didn't expect to see anything on the head after only 5 hours of use.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

May also be a product of water condensation, salty air reacting with the unpainted surface. I fish in saltwater and I see it on my motors all the time.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

It's NOT normal for head gaskets to leak at all. If the head and block surfaces were flat, correct gasket used and head bolts correctly torqued, there shouldn't be any leaking. I would talk to the rebuilder.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I live in South west Fl and see mtrs like this all the time and they run perfectly fine. Get some Merc corrosion guard part #92-802878Q55 and spray on it as it cleans it right up.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I've seen other motors like this before also, just not brand new rebuilds with only 5 hours on them, it's a little concerning to me.

I don't think it's water condensation, why would the water just happen to condense right at the top of the HG on both heads, and only leave salt right at each HG and not anywhere else around the engine. Seems like to me there is cooling water seeping out the top of the HG's. Not something I want to see after $3K and only 5 hours.

D

DJ

That's NOT unusual.

However, the rebuilder should have told you to re-torque the head bolts after the first heat/cool down cycle. That is in INCH pounds-BTW.

You don't want to see the cyl. head (original) on my 1995 John-70. It leaks a bit to the OUTSIDE, with some really corroded bolts, but NOTHING inside. It spent some time in salt. I'm afraid to touch what ain't broke.;) Or???? It's an issue but I just hate to crack open a sweet runner. Oh, the $$$ and anguish.:confused:

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

While people may see this happen in great frequency, no leak is NORMAL. If that was the case then we would be designing things at the engineer level to leak. It's more an issue of if you are ok with running it like that, if so then more power to ya. As DJ said it's not unusual, some will run it and not have a problem, others may run it and develop a failure. Personally I don't like having it bouncing around in the back of my mind and fix it for piece of mind.

D

DJ

While people may see this happen in great frequency, no leak is NORMAL. If that was the case then we would be designing things at the engineer level to leak. It's more an issue of if you are ok with running it like that, if so then more power to ya. As DJ said it's not unusual, some will run it and not have a problem, others may run it and develop a failure. Personally I don't like having it bouncing around in the back of my mind and fix it for piece of mind.

1950's-60's-70's casting molds/designs. Yea, it's normal.

Will go 1500 hours like that, if cared for otherwise.

OMC was more concerned about the "inside" as opposed the outside.

Heed the advice to re-torque to inch pound spec's. Best done when warm. It MAY disappear, however, I wouldn't hold my breath or worry.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks DJ and Sixmark. I have seen other engines with this similar thing happen, but they are all older, this is a brand new powerhead, well brand new rebuild, just seems to me that a brand new rebuild shouldn't be leaking like that, and it annoys me.

Like I said the engine runs fine, but I just wanted to see what other thought about this. Would this be anything else than cooling water leaking out of the gaskets?

Would re-torquing the heads possibly cure this? DJ what should they be re-torqued to, how many inch pounds?