Penta 270

83 Capri

Cadet
I have an 83 Bayliner capri with an AQ125A and a 270 outdrive. i believe it is a 270D but not 100% on that. I am in the process of getting the boat ready for the season and checked the oil level in the stern drive. Last season it was at the top of the flat part of the dip stick. i noticed it was a little low and topped it off. I then ran the boat and noticed that the water coming out of the weep hole in the exhaust bellows was oily. i removed the exhaust bellows from the drive side and there is drive oil in the bellows. There was old oil as well as fresh clean oil. i smelled just like the drive oil. In cleaning it up it was dripping raw oil from the drive side where the bellows attach. It wasn't steadily running out but pretty constant. Once it quit dripping i checked the dip stick and it was approximatley 1/8 from the bottom of the dip stick. Still in the flat area. The manual says it's fine as long as it reads on the flat of the dipstick. After all that my question is "how the h@#l is oil getting into the exhaust bellows from the stern drive." The oil in the stern drive is clean and no water contamination is present. Please help. It doesnt make sense the two systems are completely seperate.

83 Capri

Cadet
Re: Penta 270

Upon further inspection i did find oil in the drive bellows. Not that much but it's there. I'm still not sure how it is getting to the exhaust port in the stern drive. I guess i'll start with the seal in the upper assembly and go from there. Does anybody know if there are special tools to replace the seal in the bearing assembly that the universal joint come into the stern drive.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Penta 270

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

You should post this over in the I/O section. Perhaps a moderator would be so kind as to move it.