Cobra drive-shower....

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
New to the OMC world. Used showers on early Alphas with good results. I'm sure the top case gets warm on a Cobra too (non-King). Thoughts??
Jimbo

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cobra drive-shower....

I am surprised they didnt ban you from the forums for leaving Merc and going to an OMC.

lynnboy021

Chief Petty Officer

lol all 3 of my boats was mercs and the boat i have now is my first OMC.... lol GO OMC

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

lol all 3 of my boats was mercs and the boat i have now is my first OMC.... lol GO OMC

Shhhhhh!! Dont advertise it! You will find bloody Merc upper gear cases on your front door step, and receive anonymous threats about stealing your outdrive!

I dont think a shower would be necessary unless the outdrive in question just refuses to bathe on its own.

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am surprised they didnt ban you from the forums for leaving Merc and going to an OMC.

You know what, I've found the OMC is Waaaaaayyyyyy easy to work on. To be able to change a shaft-bellows with only a leg-pull???? Replace a impeller in what?, 10 mins....Yeah, Yeah , I know it's not the beloved Merc, and don't get me wrong, I'm not brand-loyal, if it floats and will move the glass, who cares....

At least it's not a Yamahaw!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL j/k

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

You know what, I've found the OMC is Waaaaaayyyyyy easy to work on.

Yeah you noticed that too???

You know I haven't noticed my outdrive to run real hot.:confused:... I have seen my friends merc bake the minerals from the lake on to the case... HMMMM good question

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll probably start a flame war with this comment, but...

OMC went out of business due to poor business management, not because of poor engineering. If properly maintained the Cobra drives are reliable; if you know the "tricks" to adjust them they work very well. I am very happy with my Cobra.

OK, all you Merc fans, flame on!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I've been running one for 9 seasons, I don't think you really need a shower because a Cobra (standard dog clutch) holds 64 oz of gear oil so they don't really run hot. You can use the Merc High Performance gear lube and usually when I change it, the oil comes out looking the same as when it went in.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I run that blue high performance merc stuff too.. That is great stuff.. Kinda spendy, but looks pretty on the dipstick

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The only time mine ever ran hot was when the FW "dealer" after "servicing" it, didn't bother to put drive oil in it.

It made it about halfway around the lake when it started to slow down and finally seized. When my brother went back to look at it, the water was almost boiling around it!!

Other than that it ran pretty cool..........it also held 108oz of fluid....

Keep in mind that while running, half of the drive IS in the water and the oil does circulate to a certain degree in the drive.

Unless you're running a LOT more power into your drive than it was originally designed for, (like double) and/or turning it more than 5000 RPM or so continuously, you probably do not need to "wash" it.

If you're worried about hot it runs, get a (1/8" NPT thread) temp sender, pull the top cap and drill/tap it for the sender and put a gage on it.

You'll probably find that it isn't all that hot......

If i had a 5.0 powered Cobra that I removed and replaced with a (tricked) 383 stroker......It might be different. I'd probably put a gage on it and see what the temp ran.... (but then, if I was going to spend the money on a "tricked 383......I'd probably also pull the OMG Kobra and replace it with a Bravo too!!:rolleyes:......... I just HAD to get that in there!!;);))

Cheers,

Rick