Sterndrive lube question

ralphy670

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have my drive off and I started to drain it with it on a stand. When I pulled the drain plug and the vent plug, it drained very very slow. It didnt change when I tried pushing the ball valve either. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what all is lubricated by the gear lube? When I pulled the upper and lower apart, I have some lube in the upper spline area and housing where the lower drive shaft fits into. I did not have any leaks prior to taking it apart. Is there gear lube where the drive shaft on the lower housing fits into?

Thanks for any help

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sterndrive lube question

Howdy,

It might help if you reveal what type of drive you're talking about.

Some people allow their drive to drain all night. It takes a fair amount of time to get it all to drain out, depending on the ambient temp.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what all is lubricated by the gear lube?

Literally ALL the internal moving parts of course.......the oil is slowly circulated between the upper and lower.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sterndrive lube question

My memory says there is a valve that keeps the drive from draining when the whole drive is removed. This is the same valve that allows you to pressure test the outdrive. Check where the lube passage would mate up with the gimble assembly.