Merc 650 65 hp no fire to plugs please help.

I bought a nice boat with a 65hp merc on it. The guy told me it ran last year but for some reason couldn't get it to open up on the water. It would only run at half throttle. I bought to boat and it doesn't get fire to the plugs. I contacted someone who works on boats and they told me the best thing to do is throw it in a lake. It's a good looking motor and I really want to learn how to fix it myself for the experience. I don't have alot of money to spend but if someone could answer a few questions for me it would get me on the right track. First of all I know nothing about outboard boat motors other then what i've learned in the last 2 weeks tinkering with that one and reading posts on here. I am almost positive the motor has a new stator because i found the old one in the livewell. I tested the wires going to the motor from the control box and they test at 12v except for the one that goes to the selinoid it tested about 4.3v. One question I have is the wire that is connected to the coil, (where the magneto, trigger, all taht stuff is) has not voltage to it at all. Does the power to that come from the stator or does it come from the battery when the key is turned over. I'll post some pictures of what i'm talking about. I took off the distrubitor and the coil and the distributor was cracked and busted on one side. My buddy cleaned the rotor button and put it back on but still no fire. I tested the plug wires with voltimeter and th plugs where getting some voltage like 0.04 but nothing significiant. I can get parts from oldmercs.com but I think its strange the wire going to the coil isn't getting fire at all even when turned over. Thank you..I appreciate any help. I can't afford a repair tech.

It's a merc 650 4cyl serial number 2018405 with 4D magneto KD-4 Kiekhaefer

Attachments

• PICT1163.jpg
    PICT1163.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT1164.jpg
    PICT1164.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc 650 65 hp no fire to plugs please help.

Here a link with the wiring diagram, I believe your motor is a 1966.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=465359&page=2

Check the mercury switch, could be causing the issue. Cracked cap is not good, it would have to be replaced.

Now my rant:

Tell your "guy who works on boats" to get off the Johnnyrude bandwagon and prove that he works on boats before he throws out an obvious ignorant comment like that. Merc's are complicated but when they work they rock. I was hesitant to work on them but I started getting many requests. The key is to gain the knowledge on how the ignition works, once you figure it out it's not difficult at all.

Now if i'm not mistaken this is a kiekhaefer magneto distributor, the single wire would be what provides the charge to the coil. So with this being said, are the points dirty, is the condensor any good, is the coil good. You will need to systematically rule out components. Typically a standard meter won't work and you need a DVA to check for high voltage, the coil can be checked using an ohm meter. If you are planning on keeping the motor you will need go put some money into it. Cap, perhaps a coil and points, who knows.

Thank you for your response. Now that you mention it the points did look somewhat dirty. The over all inside of the magneto was clean though. My buddy said the rotor button looked good he scraped it so it was shiny and put it back on. I was worried about knocking it out of time so i was scared to take the coil pack off. But the distributor was busted and cracked and I plan on replacing it after i get fire to the plugs. Shouldn't the single wire that goes to the magneto (kiekhaefer) at least show some current on the mulitimeter. Thanks for the wireing diagram that will help me get a good start. Also someone rigged a key switch up on this motor. The origional control box is still on it but they rigged a key switch under the steering wheel to start it. The kill switch is in place I'm wondering if maybe it's a wireing problem? Thanks alot.

Also can you post some simple directions on testing the coil and etc.. in laymen terms. I would like to also learn how to set the points and timing. But i'll worry about that after i get through the no fire problem. I really like learning about this motor and I spend alot of time with the old girl in the back yard. It will be well worth the effort to fix it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Stephen, you can try to get spark till the cows come home, but you aren't going to with a busted distributer cap. You need to replace it, no choice. The points need to be metal shiny or you won't get spark.

Is the disty cracked or is their a big chuck missing???

Looking at the diagram and applying some logic without knowing the answer to your question would be no. I believe the the salmon wire going to the magneto is a control ground from the key switch. If you notice it's got a mercury switch, which would prevent you from starting with the motor tilted up. The merc switch when closed would ground out the disty to kill spark. When the ignition switch is turned on the ground disappears allowing for spark. This is a self contained magneto driven off a belt which means it provides it's own spark. The stator/alternator is to charge the battery and that's it.Use a meter set to continuity and verify the ground disappears with the key on, one wire to ground and one to the wire going to the magneto.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Don't mess with the timing unless you have to. Clean the points and gap to .020 for staters, lets get spark first and move to fuel I imagine, then water pump, then then then :)

To be perfectly honest the distributor has a chunk out of it. I don't see a mercury kill switch on the motor anywhere. I think it may have been removed. There is a ground wire that goes from the magento to a bolt on the side of the motor. Other then the "salmon wire" and that ground there is nothing else connected to the magento. I'll post some better pictures of the motor. Looks like someone tried to super glue the distributer "chunk" back in. Will it still fire like that? A cap is OMG expensive.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yes I know, they aren't cheap, that's why they glued it. If the cap is sealed and isn't missing "chucks" and isn't wore out then it should work. I just looked at the pics again, whoever owned this motor did a monkey job on the wiring, they have a red wire going to the magneto, don't put it to power or you will see a decent smoke show.

It may just be simply a points cleaning. Is the drive belt there for the magneto?

Thanks for your help. I don't know where the drive belt is. I can't see it by simply looking at the motor. I'll repost in about 10 minutes with fresh pictures of the motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There should be a belt to drive the distributer at the top, belt goes to the flywheel.

M

Maxz695

any crack in a disributor cap will arch away from it,s intended course through the cap to the nearest ground REPLACE THE CAP AT ALL COSTS

Hope these pics can help.

Sorry the pictures suck. I will have to check that belt and make sure it's ok. Is the best something visable or will I have to remove the outer housing of the motor? The belt may be broken or worn out. I'll replace the distrubutor asap. i'm looking for a new one right now. Even with the cap messed up i would think it would at least get some spark.

Attachments

• DSCN1186.jpg
    DSCN1186.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN1187.jpg
    DSCN1187.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It might but I wouldn't trust it, it's not a skateboard LOL Ground the wire going into the mag, pull the cap and get someone to crank it. Watch to see if the cam is turning, this will verify the belt is in place.

Will do. I'll post my findings in the morning. Thanks alot for your help. I love this boat and I can't wait to go fishing.

M

Maxz695

it is nightime turn the engine over while looking at the cap you will more than likely see the arch and becuse it,s more than a crack but several from a mising piece glued back together the is more than one arching

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dude; folks in I boats are trying to help you get your Merc back up and running. These guys have worth while knowledge and many have years of experience. It's been said plainly in as many ways as I know it could be said. CHANGE YOUR CAP! Besides the cap being broken, the rotor and center carbon is also a bad spot for leaks. When you get your new cap, a new carbon is enclosed. I've heard of filing a rotor and making it work but rube Goldberg will bite you hard if that's all you intend to do with this project.

One more tidbit of info that I haven't seen yet... check that compression. A brand new distributor won't do you any good if there is no compression.

Thanks alot guys. I'll go out and check for arch right now.. Also i'm going to order a new cap tonight if i can find one at a decent price. I appreciate all the help.

M

Maxz695

eBay is always good if you got time to look and wait for it to get there if not your aleady ay iBoats. If there is no spark then the distributer drive should be checked to see if the rotor is turning if it is and theres still no spark then it,s electrical.

Just went out and checked for arch. I didn't see anything. I did it with salmon wire grounded and ungrounded. I found the belt..it looks fine; actually it looks brand new. I think the guy who had the motor before me was trying to fix it, he replaced the flywheel, stator, and belt.

Also I noticed the choke solenoid is unhooked. What does that do? I assume it's something that isn't neccessary for the motor to function since it has a manual choke.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Um it is if you want to choke it from the controls. Manual means manual, you go back to the motor and pull up the knob. Either the choke is fooked or it isn't wired right. Compression test first then check out the rest before you put money into it.

And yes- my signature says CHECK COMPRESSION :)