1995 Monterey 180, Good boats?

jpfaender

Cadet
Looking at buying a 1995 Monterey 180. Has a 4.3L Mercruiser engine with an Alpha 1 outdrive. From everything I could tell, the boats look to be in great condition. Engine turned over perfectly and sounded amazing and was extremely clean and well taken care of.

What's the story on Monterey boats? Any good? Bad or good reputation? Common problems? I would love to hear from current Monterey owners. Thanks in advance guys!

-John

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: 1995 Monterey 180, Good boats?

Honestly, at 16 years old, the current condition of the boat is more important than who made it. I don't know what kind of deal you're looking at, but consider spending a few hundred bucks for a professional survey. A surveyor has the experience and tools to determine that the hull is sound, i.e., no water infiltration in the transom and stringers.

I'm about to start my first season with the 'new' boat in my sig. It's my 3rd. I've had the last 2 professionally surveyed and it was worth every penny.

Best of luck!

My .02

jpfaender

Cadet
Re: 1995 Monterey 180, Good boats?

Yeah, I can understand that. Like I said, everything I knew to look for was in great shape. Hull didn't have any problems with it, looked GREAT! Floor was in solid condition, no soft spots. Interior is in great condition. Was just curious if there were any common problems with Monterey's in general...thanks!