Water Tube in a 150 XR 2

Sorry this really has me frustrated. I have replaced the water pump in lieu of the engine sitting so long. When installing the lower unit by myself I had a extremly hard time getting it to seat, I then used a floor jack to hold the scag and slowly lift the lower unit into place. "mistake". After still having no water, I removed the lower unit again and found the water tube bent (copper tube), I looked up through the opening where the tube goes in and it looks scared. My question is what does the tube go into at the top and does it have a sleeve or metal bushing it goes into, can't find anything in the manual... Please Help, I have made several other repairs to this boat with fuel, electrical, now no water and not sure if the oil injection is working.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Water Tube in a 150 XR 2

Your not going to like the answer. I am no Merc merchanic by trade however I do all my own work on my 6 different high performace motoros...The power head has to come off, and the tube is held in place with a screw...Maybe the guys that do this everyday have a trick(i would like to know) on not having to pull the power head...it isn't a big deal but just some time, a cherry picker and the ring that goes into the power head for lifting it...Good Luck....

j_martin

Admiral

Practice using the right tools. If you try to pick the power head with a chain and bolts, the water tube problem will seem small. Use the proper engine lifting eye.

Here's where you get the speech about the factory service manual. The installation procedure is in the book. There should have been a loose plastic tube stuck in the top of the water pump to guide the water tube to the seal. It can be done without it, but it's tricky.

Practice using the right tools. If you try to pick the power head with a chain and bolts, the water tube problem will seem small. Use the proper engine lifting eye.

Here's where you get the speech about the factory service manual. The installation procedure is in the book. There should have been a loose plastic tube stuck in the top of the water pump to guide the water tube to the seal. It can be done without it, but it's tricky.

The problem started when I replaced the water pump, When I removed the lower unit the tube came out attached to the water pump. I have a manual and followed it to the t, again the water tube came out stuck in the water pump.

j_martin

Admiral

The problem started when I replaced the water pump, When I removed the lower unit the tube came out attached to the water pump. I have a manual and followed it to the t, again the water tube came out stuck in the water pump.

That isn't right. That's when you should have looked for help, or at least had a manual to consult.

According to the drawings in my book, the water tube is just a tube. It fits in a seal in the base plate, and another seal in the water pump. If the upper seal is not damaged, you should be able to lube up a new tube and slip it into place from below. Others will quickly jump down my throat if I'm wrong.:D

Normally, it is hanging down in the mid when you install the LU, and there's a plastic tube that guides the tube into the water pump seal. A little 2-4-C on it to help the insertion, and it should easily slip into place in the water pump seal.

At any rate, the LU just slips into place. If it doesn't go, something's out of alignment. What possessed you to jack it on against such resistance?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Always tilt the motor all the way up, when installing the gearcase. It is much lighter and therefore easier to handle that way. Only make nuts finger tight until the gearcase is all the way mated to the midsection, to avoid ruining the splined ends of the crank and driveshaft. John is likely right about the water tube being held in by a rubber seal. However, it might be tricky to install it with the powerhead still on the midsection. You probably need to pull the water tube out and see if it can be straightened, or must be replaced.