unsure of stop switch on 88' force 50 hp on wiring diagram

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I bought a 1988 50 hp outboard on a bayliner capri and the ignition switch has been cut out from the dash along with the wiring harness being cut. my question is, when I look at the wiring diagram it shows a "stop switch" below the ignition switch. I am thinking that it is for one of those kill switches that have the lanyard that you attach to yourself in case you are thrown from boat or such, the ignition will die. Can I eliminate that part and just run a jumper between the 2 "M" posts on the switch? Or does the kill switch make that connection to kill the motor? Or is it actually a button you push to shut the motor off? As I said the dash has a square cut out in it where the switches go so I am not sure what was there:facepalm:. Thanks for any help

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: unsure of stop switch on 88' force 50 hp on wiring diagram

When in the off position, the switch connects the 2 M terminals to stop the engine.

goodtimesfishing

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: unsure of stop switch on 88' force 50 hp on wiring diagram

ok, perfect I can just leave that stop switch out and all should be good. The stop switch must make the connection when pin is pulled, which kills engine. Thanks Roscoe