Charge n' Troll???????

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is this and how does it work?
photo 2.jpgphoto 2.jpg

I just bought a 70# Motorguide BTW. If the above can help me keep my batts charged while using the trolling motor, I want to make sure I use it but I do not haev a clue what it is, and defenitely not a clue as to how it works?

(I know what the tilt is for... :) I am clueless to the rest of that plate on the pic.. :) )

thanks a bunch!:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Charge n' Troll???????

What you have is something that WILL NOT keep your batteries charged while on the water or out of the water for that matter. That panel with the troller receptacle and switches was a common setup for boats of your era. First, boat manufacturers needed to wire their boats to accommodate trolling motors that operated on 12 volts, 24 volts, or EITHER 12 or 24 volts. 24 volt operation requires two batteries that are wired in series. The switches were not required for that but they went one step farther to make it possible to charge both trolling motor batteries through the trolling motor receptacle using a single 12 volt charger. To do that means the series connection between the two batteries must be broken and the batteries placed in a parallel configuration. That's what the RUN/CHARGE switch does. To run the trolling motor the switch is placed in the RUN position. To CHARGE the batteries through that receptacle, you needed to place the switch in the CHARGE position. 12 volt or 24 volt operation was selected by the switch on the trolling motor.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Silvertip! So if the up switch "charge" is to charge batts, and the down switch, "run" is to runt he motor, what is the middle switch simply makred "12V" as you can see for?

...By the way, I just got my new Motorguide 70lb pro series motor in the FedEx. Can't wait to hook it up and go test it out!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is a 12 volt only setting. The 12/24 setting requires that the motor have a 12V AND a 24V switch on it. Since you have a new motor, it will be 24 volts only so you will use only the CHARGE and the 12/24 RUN setting. Before you wire the plug to your new motor you are advised to set the switch to 12/24 RUN and then verify which two pins on the receptacle are providing 24 volts. The two wires from the motor must then be connected to the plug terminals that mate up with the two in the receptacle. Remember -- you new motor is NOT a combo 12/24 -- it operates ONLY on 24 volts.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will bust out the voltmeter and check it out. Your help is very much appreciated, silvertip. I was jsut reading a wiring thread from 2003 with your name on it. Thanks to you and all the others for the patience for the rest of us and for the invaluable help!
It truly is appreciated!

I am getting ready to replace the two old trolling motor batteries in my boat. Do you have any suggestions on type, brand, etc.. considering my setup?
Thanks again Silvertip!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Battery preferences are like Chevy vs Ford discussions. Nobody wins. However, some will swear the only battery to by is an AGM or an Optima. My personal feeling is that you do not need to spend a fortune to get a good battery. I buy mine at our local farm store (Fleet Farm). A group size 29 just a few days ago was 85 bucks. A group size 27 was 75 bucks and can be had on sale for about $69. These batteries have 205 and 180 minute reserve (always check the labels when comparing batteries). The higher that number the longer it will run the troller. I've never had one fail.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What does "205 or 180 minute reserve mean? In other words, what does the minutes of reserve do??

Also, this may be an awfully juvenile question, but I have only ever run the 12/24 combo. A few times one motor would run out of juice before the other. Now that I will be poutting this 24v only motor on the boat, if one of the batteries runs out, I will not be able to use the trollin motor will I?
...hmm just thought of this one....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

True -- one dead battery and you are done for the day. It takes two batteries in series to run a 24 volt motor. Therefore both batteries must be the same physical size and capacity. However, in a series wired, 24 volt system it one battery will not generally go flat before the other as current is being drawn from both in equal amounts. The only way one battery would degrade significantly before the other is if it was defective or in the process of going to battery heaven due to old age or abuse. Physical size of the battery is just that (how big it is). Physical size is indicated by the Group Size designation and will be the number 22, 24, 27, 29, 31, etc. Bigger the number -- bigger (physically) the battery and generally the higher the reserve minutes. If you read the label carefully on a deep cycle battery it will have numbers such as: RESERVE MINUTES 205 @ 23 Amps. That means the battery can deliver 23 amps (the test specification for most deep cycles) for a period of 205 minutes (or a little under 3.5 hours). If your troller for example, drew exactly 23 amps at one particular speed setting, it would run constantly for 3.5 hours AT THAT SETTING. Most 12 volt motors for example at full speed and maximum load draw around 46 amps which just happens to be double the 23 amp rating. In that case, and at that speed, the battery would last only 1.75 hours because the motor is drawing twice the power (23 x 2 = 46) so it would drain the battery in half the time. Batteries may also be rated in AHr (amp/hour). That number means the battery can deliver 80 amps for one hour, or 1 amp for 80 hours or any combination that works out to 80 AHr. So compare labels carefully and you will note that one group size 27 battery may or may not have the same AHr or Reserve Capacity as another group 27 battery. One last detail. Two batteries in series doubles the voltage of the system 12 x 2 = 24) but available current (amps) is equal to that listed on one battery. Two batteries in parallel provide only 12 volts but the capacity is equal to the sum of both batteries.

superharmonix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Silvertip! I feel so much more educated now!
Good stuff!