mercruiser trim not working

Dan Crenshaw

Cadet
Boat: 1983 Chris Craft with original 260 Mercruiser engine/outdrive. The outdrive will tilt all the way up and down but the trim will not work under power. The wires at the trim sending unit things on each side of the outdrive are damaged. I don't know know how to open these to replace the damaged wires and how to know what is broken.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercruiser trim not working

those wires are trim limit and trim sender. should not affect trim down or trailer mode.If it works using the trailer mode and not trim mode then the trim limit switch has been bypassed already.

Dan Crenshaw

Cadet

Thanks. If the trim limit switch has been bypassed does that mean it is broken? If so, can i just replace the trim limit switch and hook it back up and it will work?
I believe there is a wire just hanging in the engine compartment that is part of this.

Dan Crenshaw

Cadet

Thanks. I'll work on it this weekend.
And just a note to all the people on this forum, I really appreciate all the help. without it I would still be standing on the dock instead of floating on the water.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If the trailer works, and the trim does not , it means that the limit switch HAS NOT been bypassed. You can bypass it by looking back near the transom for two black wires connected to a connector with two blue/white and a connector with a purple/white wire. The black wires come from the trim limit switch. To bypass simply unplug the black wires and jumper between the two connectors. The trim switch should work. Be careful because there will be no limit, and it will work the same as the trailer switch, and you don't want the outdrive to go up too high when running. Good luck.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Stony,Thanks for picking up the mistake, might be needing a proof reader.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Replacing the limit switch and sender is a major PITA involving removing the bellhousing. Best done when you are replacing the bellows. But if you like to tinker, and with nothing to lose you might get the switch and sender to work. The limit switch is on the port side. Need to check out a couple of things first. If the wires are broken, clean up the ends, and grab a ohmmeter. Lower the outdrive all the way and check for continuity across the switch. If that is OK, have someone raise the outdrive while measuring, it should open up when the outdrive is part way up. If that works, your switch is OK and you can try splicing the wires, solder with some liquid tape. If the switch itself is the problem, you can mark it's position and take it apart and see if you can get it to work. Pretty simple, just a contact arm and a copper strip. Here is a link that may be helpful: http://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm Your position sender is just a wirewound resistor, again check the wires, and try cleaning it. Have fun.