2000 Mercury 225 EFI Lower Unit Removal

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice
I am curious to know on a 2000 Mercury 225 EFI motor if there is anything other than the four nuts to remove the lower unit. I have broke the four nuts loose, gear shift is in forward as I was told to do and I cannot get the lower unit to drop. Is there some kind of magic to perform? I have removed several other lower units on other motors before and this one seems stuck for some reason. What am I missing or do I need to stand on it and try to break it loose. ?

M

Maxz695

Re: 2000 Mercury 225 EFI Lower Unit Removal

did you remove the zinc diode and remove the nut under it

skidog519

Seaman Apprentice

No I did not. I saw a plastic cap i poped off and I saw the nut in there but it did not look to me like it was was what was holding it maybe it is. Is that nut welded to insdie the lower unit and can you rmove it from underneath on the zinc side? I tired several sockets going down in where the palstic cap was and they seemd too small and when I went up a size then the diameter of the socket was too big to go inside the hole thats why I am asking if it is wekded and you go from the side of the zinc to remove it I didnt look at it from underneath looking at the zinc.

Jack Hart

Cadet

Shift to neutrual
Tilt the motor full up and lock
Disconnect the battery
Remove the prop
Remove the trim tab/zinc
Remove the bolt under the trim tab
Remove speedo tube if connected
Evenly undo the side locknuts
Remove gear housing carefully