Broken plastic windshield... Glue?

Blarney413

Cadet
I learned a lesson last week. When I was putting my boat (170 tx) away for the winter I did not support my cover with anything besides the windshield of the boat. With all the snow that we had up here in Masachusetts resting on the cover, the windshield was holding all of the weight. The bottom corner base of the windshield broke off. Does any one know of a good glue that bond the to pieces of plastic windshield back together? I'll probably just go to the store and read all the packages but thought someone might know one by name.

ps- I now know enough to support the cover/tarp properly... sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

dahogman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Broken plastic windshield... Glue?

I would just put on a new windshield. Teds Boatarama in Rock Island Illinois has some windshields that they advertise on Craigslist. I imagine they have more than they list there so give them a call.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

If it's plexiglass, you can use acetone to melt it together. Use a brush to put it on and as it dries go over it some more. It does take a while for it to bond, but it works well. You could use a clear epoxy as well.

Same thing happen to me this winter. The weight of the snow collasped the canopy down on to the windshield. I found a several places sellign them on Ebay for around $150. Still haven't replaced it though, my engine caught on fire 2 weeks ago and repairing that has takin priority.