1978 Glastron HPV-175 with Mercury Black Max 1750

stunmun

Cadet
Just bought this baby for $600 at a finance company was a Repo. This is my first post. I will upload more pictures of areas I will be working on for the next few weeks. I am hoping to have it water bound sometime in May :) Some of the areas I will restore are console floor, minor spider cracks in the transom, gauges, gel coat and upholstery. I was able to crank the motor with starting fluid and a small dab of gasoline. Wish me luck in my new hobby!
IMGP2960.jpg

IMGP2957.jpg

IMGP2954.jpg

IMGP2920.jpg

IMGP2904.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 Glastron HPV-175 with Mercury Black Max 1750

Welcome to iboats Dry Dock...

A repo with only $600 dollars owed....geeez, signs of a bad economy, huh??. Anyway doesn't look to bad, have you had it to the lake to check out the engine, that should be your first step. I know you fired it off for sec, but that's not a test like taking it on the water....

stunmun

Cadet

Hey Cadwelder thanks for the response. I haven't put it on the lake as of yet. I'll try to take it out within the next couple of weeks. I will have to do some work with the wires and fuel hoses. I just ordered a service manual last night and hoping to have that in a few days. After I cranked it the other day I was checking the wires and a few of them are very brittle and will need replacing and splicing. I am hoping I won't have to replace the stator. It looks like the previous owner kept it in storage and redid all the electrical wiring because most of the wires are in good condition throughout the boat. I am planning to work on the engine this afternoon and putting new fuel hoses. Attached are some of the pictures of the engine. Can anyone tell me what this blue green coil/resistor/capacitor thing is? It is in the first picture below. If you know the part number could you reply. I am sure it will be in my service manual when I receive it this week.
IMGP2883.jpg

What is that Green Thing?
IMGP2859.jpg

Two of these wires are very brittle all the way up to the stator and flywheel
IMGP2881.jpg

IMGP2885.jpg

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

You certainly have some electrical issues. You should start a thread in the Mercury outboard section......those guys don't look here very often. We're here for ya when it's fiberglass boat time.

Or if you like I can get this moved to Mercury forum and you can start another here later on.

stunmun

Cadet

You certainly have some electrical issues. You should start a thread in the Mercury outboard section......those guys don't look here very often. We're here for ya when it's fiberglass boat time.

Or if you like I can get this moved to Mercury forum and you can start another here later on.

Thanks Cadwelder if you could move this topic over to the Mercury forum that would be greatly appreciated. :D

86 Stingray

Cadet

I have the same boat and color. My son and I have been restoring and modifying the boat as we go. I see that you still have the original gas tank. I highly reccomend that you have the tank cleaned or replaced. We have a 16 gal. plastic tank that came with ours. Thru trial and error of trying to get the boat to run have found that the tank had sludge in it. The pick up tube would get stopped up at W.O.T. I have removed the tank and cleaned it out and hope to get good performance now. We had to cut out the decking in the cockpit area and replace it. While it was open I inspected the stringers and added some cross bracing. Fiberglassed the areas that were installed and covered it up with 1/2" plywood and fiberglassed it. We did not want the seats in front of the consoles so we built a deck to cover the area from the consoles to the front deck and made access doors for storage into the seat areas. Fiberglassed it all and covered with carpet. I wish you well on your project. My son and I have had fun and will remember this forever.

pckeen

Commander

Hi Stun,

I think only the moderators can move a post.

In the meanwhile, just open a new thread in a new window, in the Merc motors section. Then click on 'edit' for each of your posts here. You can then highlight and copy the entire thread, and just paste it into your new threads. Good luck - looks like you got a good find.