Bent axles

Strait

Cadet
Hi

I have a single axle on my boat trailer i notice there is a slight bent near a wheel i am not to sure but it looks like about 1/4 inch bent , that makes my wheel turning left a bit. I was wondering can it be straight it up by heating the axle and pound on it with a sledge hammer until it is straight??? I am towing a 14ft fiberglass grew boat. There is pics of trailer with the boat on it hope that help .

Attachments

• Bateau-2.bmp
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Bateau-3.bmp
    31.7 KB · Views: 0

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Bent axles

Boy those pictures are REALLY small, can't see a thing in them to identify what your talking about, as far as straightening, yes, they can be straightened, but your going to be money ahead by replacing the axle, instead of taking it to a shop and have it pulled apart and put on a jig, you probably can get a complete new set up for around $100 + or -

I would not try and straighten one with a torch and sledge, when you apply enough heat to the axle to actually bend it, your going to change the temper of the metal and could create a situation that makes the metal brittle increasing the odds of failure.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

You might try to straighten the axle but it probably will never be truely straight. I would replace the axle. They are not real expensive and your problems are solved. You just need to determine the type of axle you have.(round, square, 2200#, 3500# bearing sizes) There are plenty of places online that sell them or you might have someone locally that stocks them.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Is it actually bent or is it a cambered axle that is supposed to have some arc to it? My uncle spent a lot of time straightening one out that was actually supposed to be a factory cambered axle. If it's truly bent axles are pretty cheap, for a complete set up with hubs you'd pay about $110 for a 3500lb axle, and installing it will be easier than repacking bearings.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yet another one that has to agree that the cost of new is less than the aggravation of trying to straighten the bent one.

Strait

Cadet

No it is not a Cambered axles , it is bent near the wheel on the driver side slighly bent not even a 1/4 inch the wheel comes outside left to insid right a bit. But was wondering i did removed the axle but to install a new one do i have to re-aligne it if yes how do you do that . At princess auto there is one on special right now for 99.00$ but it is a 2000lb and that is what i have on the trailer now but it is a 5 bolts and my tires are 4 bolts.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You might take your hub off and compare it to the one on the axle that is on sale, they may be the same bearing set up and you could swap them and continue to use your current wheels.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

here are a couple links to compare and get a better idea of what is involved.

http://aaatrailerparts.com/default.aspx
http://abctrailerparts.com/

I bought mine through abctrailerparts. He's easy to work with and has great prices, he can also make sure you get the right bolt pattern for your wheels. There should be a small stud sticking out the spring that fits into a hole on the axle spring perch so there's no alignment necessary. One thing some people do which seems like a good idea is weld/bolt a spindle from the old axle onto their trailer and save an old hub as a spare bolted on their trailer.....which obviously only works if the bearings are the same, but it may be something worth looking into.

Strait

Cadet

Wow, this cool thanks to this forum for all the help you people a genius, i would still be looking at the trailer and still wondering what do i need to do but with you guys are amazing to me. I will go and purchase that axles from Pricess Auto since it is not far from my home , i live in Canada and to get one from the state will be hard for cause i dont cary credit cards. I will work on taking out the old hubs and measure the hole to hopefully that it will be the same size and just replace the old hub instead of the new hub. The hubs that is on the trailer before came of a small car cause there is use to be Brake on it , so i guess they fix it without using the brakes .

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Hi

I have a single axle on my boat trailer i notice there is a slight bent near a wheel i am not to sure but it looks like about 1/4 inch bent , that makes my wheel turning left a bit. I was wondering can it be straight it up by heating the axle and pound on it with a sledge hammer until it is straight??? I am towing a 14ft fiberglass grew boat. There is pics of trailer with the boat on it hope that help .

Instead of heat and a sledge, I would use a hydraulic bottle jack and some chain to bend it straight.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

What jeeperman said.A sledgehammer is almost always a desperate last attempt method for any kind of fix.I was gonna say chains and a chain hoist but its a delicate job and can be dangerous if something lets go.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

You would end up spending just as much if not more taking it to an alignment shop as you would putting a new axle on it.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

True. But at what cost? Anything can be fixed given enough money.

A local shop here is $60 per axle. I cant imagine there's that wide of a range. But they can only fix straight axles. Not the u-bend kind.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

A local shop here is $60 per axle. I cant imagine there's that wide of a range. But they can only fix straight axles. Not the u-bend kind.

Reasonable at that price. Still I would be suspect of other damage to the suspension as well. Takes quite a force to bend an axle especially one bent off to one side. Weakest point is or should be the center.