jumping out of foward gear

trying2fix

Recruit
i have a 62 10hr. evinrude sportwin motor when in water the foard gear jumps out when given gas but will run good in reverse any help with the cause would be apperciated also on a do it yourself scale of 1-10 how hard is this problem be...thanks for anyones help...

moevinrude

Cadet
Re: jumping out of foward gear

You most likely have a bad clutch dog, and possibly the forward gear. Not hard to replace, but can cost $150 to $300. I just replaced my lower unit on my 9.5. It was more cost effective to a used lower unit.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not an expert on this motor. I would say the problem is probably in the gear shift mechanism. When you shift into Forward, there should be some kind of detent or spring loaded cog that holds it in Forward. Need to look at that mechanism to see if something can be tightened or strengthened.

Probably stays in Revervse because that part of the shifter mechanism does not get used as much as Forward. Just a guess...

kbait

Commander

No detents on this one. It's either the shift adjustment behind the shift handle, the upper/lower shiftshaft coupler under the access window, the fork/pin for the clutchdog is bent/broken, or worn clutchdog/possibly forward gear. You can slowly spin the prop by hand w/motor off and in N, and shift toward F and compare the distance it takes to engage to N to R distance.. to see if it's biased toward one gear. Should be even. If that's not it, pull the little window and check coupler. If that's not it, pull the lower unit off and disassemble and see what you find. Good luck!